Chapter 22

Scott tightens his grip on the wheel, while Stiles and Adeline peer anxiously through the rear windshield at the car tailing them. "Faster?" Scott prompts, tension lacing his voice.

"Much faster," Stiles agrees, his gaze fixed on the pursuing vehicle through the glass. Derek's Camaro zooms down the road with Kate hot on their trail.

"I've never been in a car chase before. This is awesome," Adeline exclaims, a grin stretching across her face. Stiles shoots her a nervous glance, while Scott maintains a firm grip on the wheel driving like a grandmother.

"I don't think you're grasping the concept of the car chase," Stiles tells Scott, noting his rising panic. "If I go faster, I'll kill us."

"If you don't go faster—a lot faster—they're going to kill us!"

So, Scott floors the accelerator, sending them hurtling towards a sharp turn. Adeline, who forgot to fasten her seatbelt, tumbles to the floor of the car. 

Stiles peers through the rear windshield, his expression a mix of confusion and disbelief. "They're gone," With a quick glance down at the police scanner resting in his lap, he adjusts the volume.

"All units, suspect is on foot headed north, last seen on Hancock," crackles the voice over the police scanner.

"Uh oh," Adeline murmurs anxiously. Scott swiftly changes direction, steering towards the indicated area. As they approach, Adeline suddenly sits up, her eyes widening. "He's right there, I see him!" she shouts, pointing ahead.

The passenger door swings open, and Scott and Stiles lean out. "Get in!" Stiles yells urgently at Derek, who pushes off the ground and hurtles forward towards the car.

 Tires spin across the pavement, kicking up dust as Argent rushes forward, crossbow at his side.

  Scott whirls back to Derek, frustration evident in his expression. "What part of laying low don't you understand?" he demands, his voice edged with exasperation.

 "I had him."

"Who? The Alpha?" Stiles asks.

"He was right in front of me. And then the idiot police show up."

"Hey, hey, hey, they're just doing their jobs." Stiles defends his dad. Thanks to someone who decided to make me the most wanted fugitive in the state." 

"I'm innocent in this matter." Adeline waves her hand. 

"Can we seriously get past that? Yes, I made a dumbass mistake. I get it." Scott groans.

"How'd you find him? " Stiles asks looking over at Derek who falls silent. "Can you try to trust us for half a second?" 

 "All of us." Stiles says as Derek levels a homicidal glare at Stiles "Or just him. I'll be back here." Adeline rolls her eyes at the boy. "The last I time I talked to my sister, she was close to figuring something out. She found two things. The first was a guy named Harris."

"Our Chemistry teacher?" Stiles says confused.

"She can have him." Adeline grumbles as that was her least favorite teacher. "Why him?" Scott says ignoring Adelines comment. "I don't know."

"What's the second?" Scott probes. "Some kind of symbol." Derek pulls out a folded up piece of paper and opens it to show him a simple photocopy. Scott takes one look and lets out a hopeless sigh. "What? You know what this is?"

"I've seen it. On a necklace." Slowing the Camaro, Scott gazes at a drawing of the symbol for the Beast of Gévaudan. "Allison's necklace."

"Dun dun dun." Adeline does jazz hands making Stiles grabs her hands quickly putting them down after getting two different glares from the werewolves.