Chapter 27

At school, Adeline finishes organizing her locker when Lydia and Allison approach her. "Hi," Adeline greets them, glancing between the two girls.

"Addie, right?" Lydia asks making Adeline nod ignoring the fact she knew Lydia knows her name.

"You have good taste. You need to come shopping with us for dresses," Lydia suggests.

Adeline hesitates, caught off guard by the invitation. "Um, well, alright," she responds, still processing the unexpected offer. Lydia nods and walks away, leaving Adeline slightly bewildered. Allison, however, gives her a warm smile.

"Here, can I see your phone?" Allison asks, and Adeline hands it over without thinking twice. She watches as Allison quickly inputs her number into Adeline's phone. "This is my number. I'll text you the details," Allison explains.

"Thanks," Allison nods smiling before walking away from the very confused and slightly overwhelmed girl.

After class Stiles and Scott watch the two of them chat, making plans for the dance. Adeline walks up to them and looks around to see what they are looking at.

 "Is Jackson taking Allison to the dance?" Adeline asks, curious.

Stiles nods. "Yep, well, Scott is kinda forcing him to."

Adeline furrows her brow, looking at Scott. "Why would you do that?"

"To protect her," Scott responds simply.

"Don't worry, I'll be there too. And so will Ads," Stiles reassures the heartbroken werewolf.

"I'm still going," Scott insists.

"Is that really a good idea? Do you even have a date?" Stiles asks as Adeline pieces it together. Scott can't go to the dance because of his grades more than likely.

"Not yet,"

 "Do you have a suit?"

"Not yet."

"A ticket to the formal? A ride?"

"No and no." Adeline looks in between the two slightly amused.

Stiles looks at his friend with a blank look.  "So, you're riding your bike to a dance you're not allowed to go to, without a suit, a date or a way in, with werewolves and werewolf hunters all out to kick your werewolf ass?" 

"Yeah. You guys going to help me?"

"Hell, yes." Stiles says at the same time Adeline smiles and says. "Of course." 

Shoppers bustle through the corridor of the mall as Allison and Adeline trail behind Lydia into the entrance of Macy's Department Store.

"Nothing's wrong. I just have a lot on my mind," Allison explains as Adeline walks awkwardly beside them, still unsure why Lydia invited her.

"You could smile at least. Ever hear the saying: 'Never frown. Someone could be falling in love with your smile'?" Allison glares at her. "Smile, Allison. You too, Addie. I'm buying both of you dresses."

"I'll admit, as far as apologies go, that's more than I expected," Allison says, while Adeline still remains slightly shocked. "You don't need to buy me-" Lydia interrupts Adeline by putting her hand up in front of her, silencing her.

Lydia then turns to Allison, her expression shifting slightly. "Excellent," 

"But not as much as I'm going to ask," Allison continues, her smirk suggesting mischief.

"What? What's that supposed to mean?" Lydia asks, her alarm evident in her voice.  "Do you know what she means?" she adds, turning to Adeline for clarification.

Adeline shakes her head no making Lydia look back to Allison.

"It means you're going to cancel on whatever dumb, roided-up jock you said yes to and go with someone else," Allison explains with a teasing glint in her eye.

Who?"

"Him," Allison responds, pointing down the aisle to where Stiles stands at a perfume counter. He sprays himself with a bottle and then sneezes loudly. Lydia's horror-struck expression prompts a teasing remark from Allison. "Don't frown, Lydia. Someone could be falling in love with your smile," Allison says as the three girls' glance back at Stiles who waves awkwardly before sneezing again.

A puzzled look crosses Lydia's face as she gestures between Adeline and Stiles. "Aren't you and him a thing?" she questions, prompting a swift denial from Adeline. "Oh, no, definitely not," she replies hastily but for some reason knots form in her stomach.

A little later, Lydia places a dress on a stack held in Stiles's arms.

"You're going to try all of these on? Is this a 24-hour Macy's?" Stiles jokes, looking around for Adeline but not seeing her. 

"That's not your color." Adeline glances up. "Oh, its you."

"Sorry if that was intrusive. But considering your skin tone, I'd go a little lighter." Peter tells her.

"Because I'm pale? I am a ginger can't help it. Why are you talking to me?" Adeline responds, her tone guarded.

"Fair. You can't call skin like yours pale. Not skin that perfect." Peter compliments, his tone oddly sincere.

"You just gave a compliment to a teenage girl who you have tried to kill."

"Trust me Addie, I have a unique perspective on the subject. And I have never tried to kill you and I won't. Would you mind?" He reaches for her hand, his movements surprisingly gentle. Before she can even react, his fingers wrap around her palm, delicately drawing her hand up. "You look just like her." He mutters making Adelines eyes widen confused. 

"See? Much better." Peter presses an emerald green dress into her hand. "You're not here alone, are you?" Peter asks, inching closer. Adeline takes an instinctive step back. "Friends looking for dresses too?" Adeline nods hesitantly. "Why the hell are you here?" He keeps advancing.

"High school dance?"

"Formal." Adeline clarifies, feeling a chill run down her spine under Peter's intense gaze.

Suddenly, the PA system crackles alive. "Attention shoppers. To the owner of a blue Mazda, license plate... 5-U-N-I-7-6-8. Your car is being towed." Allison rushes over behind the rack frantically. "Do you have my keys? I gave them to Lydia while-" Adeline nods, handing Allison the keys Lydia gave her. "Let me come with you."

Peter watches the suddenly frantic teenagers race around the racks and go running for the exit. Blinking in momentary confusion, Peter allows himself a smile.

"I have to say I continue to be impressed by your ingenuity, Scott." Around a corner and down another aisle, Scott hides in the shadows, listening and then slumping back against the wall as the weight of Peter's next words bear down on him... "Just remember: You can't be everywhere all of the time."

The two girls walk back inside and Adeline try's on the dress Peter suggested even though it creeped her out it was the one that looks the best on her. Adeline walks out in a dark purple one trying to choose a different dress. "What about this one?" she asks the two girls, her voice drawing Stiles's attention as he sits, his mouth slightly agape.

"Go with the other one, Adeline," Lydia states simply, prompting Adeline to sigh and glance down at the ground before retreating back into the stall.