Y5 ~ Ministry of Magic

They were there, they had found the place. With a ceiling that seemed endless and full of nothing but towering shelves covered in small, dusty, glass orbs. The orbs glimmered dully in the limited lighting, like in the other rooms behind them, lit with only burning blue flames. The room was very cold.

"Ninety seventy!" whispered Hermione. They stood grouped around the end of the row, gazing down the alley beside it. There was nobody there.

"He's right down at the end," said Y/N, whose mouth had become slightly dry. "You can't see properly from here." And Y/N led them between the towering rows of glass balls. Harry had a horrible, horrible feeling about what awaited.

"He should be here," Y/N whispered breathing desperately as if her lugs couldn't get enough air convinced that every step was going to bring the ragged form of her father into view. "Anywhere here...he has to be here I know it…"

"Y/N?" said Hermione tentatively, but Y/N did not want to respond. They had reached the end of the row and emerged into more dim candlelight. There was definitely nobody there. All was echoing, dusty silence

"He might be..." Y/N whispered hoarsely, peering down the next alley. "Or maybe..." Y/N hurried to look down the one beyond that.

"Y/N?" said Harry this time as he grabbed her hand.

"What?" Y/N snarled.

"I... I don't think Sirius is here. I think we were mistaken." Harry finished.

Nobody spoke. Y/N did not want to look at any of them. She felt sick.There was no sign of Sirius anywhere, nor any hint of a struggle. 'It couldn't be it felt so real was it truly just a trap,' Y/N thought.

"Harry?" Ron called.

"What?" Harry said, lifting his gaze from Y/N towards Ron's form.

"Have you seen this?" said Ron.

"What?" said Harry, but eagerly this time- it had to be a sign that Sirius had been there, a clue to his godfather. To Y/Ns father. He strode back to where they were all standing, but found nothing except Ron staring at one of the dusty glass balls.

"It's- it's got your name on it and... and Y/N's." said Ron.

"What?" Y/N spun around, holding her brightly lit wand in front of her. She and Harry moved a little closer.
Ron was pointing at one of the small glass balls that looked very dusty and appeared not to have been touched for many years.

"My name?" said Harry blankly. "Y/N's name?"
He craned his neck to read the yellow label affixed to the shelf right beneath the dusty glass ball. In spidery writing was written a date of some sixteen years previously, and below that: S.P.T. to A.P.W.B.D. Dark Lord and (?)Harry Potter (?)Y/N Loveblood. They both stared at it. And then at each other.

"What is it?" Ron asked. "What's your name doing down here?"

"Guys, I don't think you should touch it," said Hermione sharply, as Harry stretched out his hand.

"Why not?" he said. "It's something to do with me and Y/N, doesn't it?"

"I want to get a closer look at it as well," Y/N said, just as curious as he was.

And feeling slightly reckless, he closed his fingers around the dusty ball's surface. He had expected it to feel cold, but it did not. On the contrary, it felt as though it had been lying in the sun for hours. Harry lifted the glass ball down from its shelf and stared at it. Nothing whatsoever happened. The others moved in closer around Harry, gazing at the orb as he brushed it free of the clogging dust. And then, from right behind them, a drawling voice spoke.