Y4 ~ A Chosen One

Lupin Cottage stood serenely in the heart of the countryside, nestled in the middle of a sprawling grass field, shrouded by an ancient magic that concealed it from the outside world. Towering trees encircled the boundary of this enchanted land, their leaves whispering secrets in the breeze. The cottage itself was a charming, two-story structure, larger than one might expect for a solitary inhabitant. It boasted two bedrooms and two bathrooms, a spacious living room, and a kitchen that felt more like a quaint bakery, filled with an array of utensils designed for crafting sweet delights.

Y/N Loveblood found herself adjusting to the cottage with surprising ease. Her bedroom, significantly larger than the cramped quarters she had known at the orphanage in London, offered her the exciting opportunity to decorate it with a personal touch, aided by her godfather's magic. This made the process both effortless and enchanting.

The early summer days slipped by smoothly. Y/N immersed herself in reading and writing letters to Harry daily, with occasional correspondences to Hermione and Ron. Her godfather, Remus, was often preoccupied with work, making their shared dinners a cherished time. Fortunately, the full moon had not yet appeared since their arrival, allowing Y/N some peace. Her father, still on the run, remained out of reach, but she tried to be patient.

One particularly bright and sunny summer morning, Remus took the day off from work. The sunlight filtered through the trees, casting dappled shadows that danced on the grass, and the warmth was so soothing it could lull one to sleep. Y/N and Remus were enjoying a breakfast of pancakes, a dish Y/N had learned to perfect under Remus's guidance. The air was filled with the comforting scent of syrup and freshly cooked batter. They ate in a companionable silence until Remus spoke.

"Y/N, I know I haven't had much time to talk with you, but today I have the whole day off, and there are some important things I need to tell you. Sirius contacted me briefly, and we agreed it's time you knew," Remus said calmly, his eyes serious. The mention of her father's name made Y/N's ears perk up, and she put down her utensils, giving him her full attention.

"Okay, I'm listening," Y/N said, her voice steady as she folded her hands in her lap.

"Harry wasn't the only target that night Voldemort murdered the Potters and your mother. You are part of what we call the 'chosen two,'" Remus began, his voice grave.

"Chosen two? What do you mean?" Y/N asked, her brows furrowing in confusion.

"There was a reason Voldemort went to Godric's Hollow that night. He was looking for two children born at the end of July. Those children were prophesied to be key to his downfall. There's no 'chosen one'; it's the 'chosen two.' That's why you and Harry both bear those lightning bolt scars. It wasn't a coincidence," Remus explained.

"You're saying Voldemort wants me dead as much as Harry?" Y/N's eyes widened in shock. "Is that why the professors hid me away in that orphanage? Why I couldn't mention my last name outside of Hogwarts?"

"Y/N, don't say his name," Remus cautioned gently.

"I'm not afraid of a name. I'm just trying to understand," Y/N insisted, her voice tinged with frustration.

Remus sighed, leaning back in his chair. "That's not the only reason your existence has been kept hidden. You resemble your mother, Emily, a great deal. Voldemort was obsessed with her. Or how he liked to calm it 'love.' His twisted desire for possession and control over her made him all the more dangerous. Emily's love for Sirius only fueled his fury. We didn't know what he'd do if he saw you, especially with his return during your first and second years at Hogwarts. It could have stirred dark memories. We waited until now to reveal your existence, thinking it was safer."

"What do you mean 'until now'?" Y/N asked, shifting uneasily in her seat.

"Dumbledore and the Ministry of Magic believe there are no more imminent threats from Voldemort. They've agreed to make your existence known in the wizarding world, which means I can now take you to your family vault at Gringotts," Remus explained.