C H A P T E R S I X- A C C I D E NT ?

Since when was there a cliff here?

I could hardly see anything despite the headlights being on, and it didn't help my anxiety calm down. My hands began to sweat, and I could've swore I saw something in the shadows. I still didn't know how to brake, everytime I pressed either of the pedals the speed just increased.

I couldn't hear their cars behind me, it was dead silent. Only the sound of the pebbles crunching under the tyres could be heard.

I need to get out of the car.

I couldn't stop the car from braking and I'm driving on a road on the edge of a cliff, the last thing I need if for my friends to find a tree penetrating my chest at the bottom of the cliff.

Think, think, think!

What do I do? What do I do?

And that's when it hit me, if I can't stop the car from moving manually, I'll just do it physically.

The cliff has trees planted on the edges, so theoretically, I can just drive the car into the tree, quickly get myself out and save myself from death. But then what do I do after that?

I can't just walk home, I'm on Serpenti territory as a de Vinci. What would happen if someone realises who I am?

I'll figure it out later.

The car continues to speed down the dirt road, and I can make out where the cliff is. I take a few deep breaths, one, two, three, four.

And I do it, I drive the car into a tree, the impact forcing me forward. A branch falls onto the car, penetrating what was left of the windshield and almost penetrating me. The piece of wood was mere inches from my face, and if I moved forward even the tiniest bit, I would have to live with a deformed face my whole life. My heart thuds against my chest as I sit there in shock, my mind racing at every single situation that could happen after tonight.

It was only when the tree began to fall back that I snapped out of my frenzy and wasted no time unbuckling myself, grabbing my purse and hurling myself out of the car.

My head hit the concrete with a crack as my body grazed the road. Everything was dizzy and I could feel blood trickle down the side of my head, the smell of the liquid made me even more lightheaded. I heard the car slowly fall down the cliff, crashing against the hard surface before it had settled at the bottom of the cliff, where the land met the sea. I held onto another tree for support as I gazed down at the car, watching it burst into flames. It hadn't reached the water yet, it was still on the land and was slowly incinerating.    

I still had my purse clutched in my hand and grabbed my phone, failing the first contact I see.

"Devon?" I choke out a sob, realisation dawning on me.

"Val? Where are you?"

"Dev, I-I don't know. My head hurts and I did something bad." I confess, my free hand placed firmly on the bleeding wound.