C H A P T E R T W O- M Y S T E R Y M A N

After stopping at McDonald's since Rhean wanted to try the new McFlurry, I finally got back home

After stopping at McDonald's since Rhean wanted to try the new McFlurry, I finally got back home. As Rhean's car wasn't registered in our security system, he had to drop me off right outside the gate. I walked up to the screen built into the marble gate, the sleek black screen immediately lighting up into a silver when it detected my movement.

'PLEASE SCAN YOUR IRIS FOR IDENTIFICATION' popped up on the screen. Below the words were two options to scan one eye or two. Before it was only one since no one in my family had two different coloured eyes, well that was until I came along. I have heterochromia meaning that I had two different coloured eyes. My right eye was a full blue and my left was a dark brown.  I'm not sure who I inherited it from, but I know that the person isn't alive.

I bend down a tiny bit and let it scan my eyes, the blue light almost blinding me.

'VALERIA NASRI DE VINCI IDENTIFIED.'

I heard a few cogents turn, before the gate parted and revealed the smooth black driveway with real gold decorating the edges. The front yard was massive, I won't deny it. The driveway was in the middle and trailed off to the side where the garage was. In  the middle of the driveway was an old fountain, the small figure of an angel weeping on top of it with gold vines spilling from the top vase into the bottom, submerging in the water before trailing out the fountain and into the actual ground. It created a sort of illusion of the ground beneath the fountain cracking, revealing gold cracks that spread throughout the driveway.

The space around the driveway was grass was freshly cut everyday, a few  marble statues of angels and mythological figures here and there. I walked down the driveway, my legs already tired within the first few seconds of walking.

It's a good two minute work from the gate to the front door step, and boy is it a lot of effort. If it wasn't for my amazing spider senses, I wouldn't have heard the front gate opening once again followed by the roar of a sports car. I ran towards the edge of the driveway, hopping over the small fence and onto the grass.

Two sports cars raced into the driveway, the roars of the car getting louder and louder. As they passed by, the wind gushed into my face, almost pushing me off my feet. The cars split directions and drove around the fountain, stopping mere inches away from each other.

I almost died.

I collapse to the ground and fist my shirt, trying to regulate my breathing. I just wanted to sleep. Two people get out the car, and I recognise them as Ares and Roman, the troublemakers.

"Did you run her over?" I hear Ares faintly shout.

"Who cares if I did anyway?" Roman checks around and when he sees me siting on the ground, he scoffs, "She's being a dramatic bitch over there. Go check on her if you want."

Roman leaves Ares and walks in by himself. I can feel Ares' gaze on me as I get up, dusting down my skirt. When I look up at him he looks away, walking into the house. It's always been like this, constantly ignored by my cousins and siblings. But it's okay.