Chapter 18 - Protecting Hayley

I ring Hayley and send her to my apartment across from Cami's. I explain that there's a threat but that I'll elaborate more later and text her the address of my apartment, along with the access code for the spare set of keys.

Kol scowls in annoyance when I don't say the address aloud but it's my space. Who knows when I'll need to use it and it's come in handy today.

I then call Cami and ask her for a massive favour but she's more than happy to pop over and say hello to Hayley while I make my way there.

I only wish I had put the apartment in someone else's name, because Klaus can currently enter if he finds it.

We all head back to the city centre, my family taking directions from me because I am just so angry. None of them argue when I send them home to see if Klaus is there, while heading to my small apartment alone. They don't like it but I don't give them a choice in the matter.

I hear Cami easing Hayley's worries as I run up the stairs, she is truly amazing and I appreciate her more than she knows.

"I'm sure everything is perfectly fine, they probably had a quarrel," Cami continues in her calm soft voice.

"They've argued before and she's never told me to leave," Hayley paces around nervously, with her sweet baby girl in her arms. "She was so worried on the phone."

I enter the apartment and they both sigh with relief.

"I'll explain but you have to be completely honest with me," I turn to Hayley, hoping with every fibre of my being that she knew nothing about the true father of her child.

"Of course," she is taken aback when I am dead serious.

"Genetically your child is different to mine," I examine her face, knowing deep down there's no way she knew about this. She would be long gone by now if she did.

I ignore Cami's stunned look, forgetting she didn't know about my pregnancy.

"My husbands are furious," I explain why I asked her to meet me here. "Klaus wants to kill you."

Hayley freezes in shock and her heart beats rapidly. Her baby gurgles and she burps her back, having to sit down to take in the news.

"How do you know?" She whispers lowly, panic lacing every words when she thinks about my family trying to harm her and her baby.

"The cord blood you donated doesn't match," I say simply. "Did you know?"

I feel like such a horrible person to make her answer that but I have to know the truth. Honestly, her life depends on the answer. If so, I know there's nothing I can do to hold Klaus back. If not, I may be able to save their lives yet.

Hayley's head whips around to mine as I ask, with tears of betrayal in her eyes.

"How could you ask me that Fia?"

My tensed shoulders are finally able to relax at her response. She truly didn't know. I don't care that I've hurt her feelings, I have the answer now and that means I need to protect her, for her baby's sake.

Apologising quickly for even having to check with her, I turn to Cami who is dumbfounded at watching notorious Mikaelson drama unfold.

"Cami, we're not completely safe if we're found," I turn to her as Hayley is almost unresponsive, horrified at the implications of her taking the witch's word. They told her it was Klaus' child so she believed them. Now her life is in perilous danger.

"Your husbands can't enter my place," she instantly knows what I'm asking her. "Lets go."

She takes her keys out of her pocket and I usher a stunned Hayley across the hall. We make it without anyone appearing or even walking past.