Chapter 15 - Hayley's Birth

The following morning Hayley goes into labour. Her water breaks and a doctor is called. The same doctor I saw yesterday.

We make eye contact and it all falls into place when I nod, explaining the father is the same. Klaus is the only one I slept with after the potion was spilt. Our children will be half siblings.

It's horrific and scary to see Hayley in so much pain but she has Eve, a wolf from the Bayou helping her through it. Eve and the doctor are all Hayley wants in her room as she delivers and the rest of us pace outside cringing at her screams of pain for hours.

And then the baby arrives.

A squalling sticky child is thrust into Hayley's arms and it's all perfect again. A hole rips open in my chest as I hear her cry with joy.

"I never knew I could love a little baby this much," she cries in wonder of her own child.

It's a beautiful moment but I hate it.

I'm never going to have that. I might not ever meet my child if I don't start chemotherapy quickly. And that chemotherapy might hurt my little babe.

Jealously fills me and not for the first time when I think of Hayley. This time it's worse than all the previous moments combined.

My future has been ripped away from me and I'm the cause. My stupidity has taken a lovely moment to look forward to, that should be similar to Hayley's birth experience, and turned it into something to be greatly feared.

I don't know if I'll even reach as far along as Hayley. I don't know if I'll ever hold my babe in my arms like she gets to.

Rushing outside for a brief quiet moment of fresh air, I breathe in and out deeply trying to regulate my emotions. When I re-enter, a decision is being made that will directly affect me.

Hayley agrees to donate her baby's umbilical cord blood to a help poorly child with similar genetics. The doctor stares at me while describing how the stem cells will be used to save the life of a baby or child in severe medical distress.

Hayley immediately agrees to the full testing and donation, at peace now that her child is here and healthy.

My spite vanishes as I watch the doctor collect the life saving blood that will save my own babe. Hayley's perfect birth might save my own and she doesn't even know it yet. I am beyond grateful.

Our family is thrilled to see the new addition to the clan. Hayley hasn't named her yet but she is adorable. She's so tiny and perfect and I stare at her, praying to anyone that can hear me for my own baby to be just as healthy.

When everyone is distracted I compel the doctor, dragging her to another room.

"Will the cord blood help my situation?"

"It might help your baby if they're born premature or sick," she responds quietly, just as I compelled her to.

"Run those tests now and come back later with the results," I order before compelling her to be unable to repeat this conversation with anyone else.

Deep down I know what I'm doing is wrong but I'll do anything to save my babe. Anything.

I duck back into Hayley's room, happy that no one has noticed my very brief absence. I have to keep taking breaks and leaving everyone to it as it all becomes too much too frequently.

Elijah notices at once and follows me out the fifth time I leave.

"Ophelia is everything okay?"

My hands start to shake but I feel completely numb inside. Am I okay? No not really. But how can I tell him that right now? This happy day is for Hayley and her baby, not me and mine.