Chapter 9 - Multiple Huge Betrayals

I've had enough.

Elijah has left to help Hayley again.

He told me he'd be here for me tonight and to wait up for him.

He isn't here. He's with her.

I thought we were doing well. He's really tried to ease my worries recently but today feels different because he hasn't returned home.

I bury my sadness and pretend I'm lost in spell work to distract me but I'm watching the clock like a hawk and hoping every little noise signals his return.

It hasn't. He hasn't texted me either.

Pure jealousy and rage consumes me as I think about Hayley. Yes, she's lovely but she has no idea she's spending more time with my own husband than I am, I'm starting to resent her.

I begin to cry, embarrassing myself even though there's no one in the room with me.

I feel inadequate and replaceable. I'm not enough.

If I went into Kol or Rebekah or even Klaus' room right now, I know they would welcome me with open arms and a loving smile.

But it's Elijah I want. I'm losing him.

I sniffle and wipe away my silent tears, but they return. Eventually I give up and let myself cry quietly, mourning the life I once had. Nothing has been the same since I was undaggered and it never will be.

I helped sneak Davina out using a difficult doubling spell that duplicated her body earlier. A fake Davina could be left in the attic while I cloaked her real one, to keep her safe while visiting Tim. She was so thrilled and I've never seen her happier, it was the best part of my day and the best part of hers too.

But when I came back, Klaus announced he was busy and Elijah was nowhere to be seen.

Even Klaus doesn't know.

Crying on the floor, I contemplate using a subtle glamour spell to get rid of my flaws. Hayley is so gorgeous, I'm nothing stood next to her. Maybe I should fix myself so Elijah likes me again.

Would poutier lips and more vibrant eyes to capture his attention again work? Or would I be rejected and left feeling dull and ugly even after that?

That would almost be worse...

The front door creaking open has me scrambling for tissues so I can wipe my tears and pretend I've been concentrating hard on magic this whole time. I hear Hayley wish Elijah a good night and thank him for his help in tracking down her family and I'm filled with a little relief. He was simply keeping his promise to help her although I'm still fuming he's out this late without telling me.

"Ophelia?" Elijah notices the light is still on. "What are you doing up? It's late."

My heart clenches in pain at his words. He's forgotten. He's actually forgotten it's my night with him.

I swallow the lump in my throat and laugh.

"Is that the time? Wow I didn't realise it was so late," I lie through my teeth but he doesn't pick up on it.

And the Oscar goes to... Me of course.

"Come," he beckons to me. "Let's get to bed."

No apology. Nothing.

He disappears to get ready for bed and I'm left staring at the door in shock. I must be dreaming. This can't be real.