Chapter 11 - Stopping the Harvest

I walk towards the church where I know Davina is. I know exactly what I'm going to do, I've been contemplating it for a while. Elijah's easy dismissal of the truth has just pushed me into dangerously doing this alone.

The decision has been made for me and time is critical.

"Lia, what are you doing here? Marcel could be back any minute now," Davina hisses as I walk into the room with her.

I dismiss the use of the nickname Lia and get down to business.

"I know how to save you from the Harvest, I've known for a while but I wasn't sure I could do it."

"What do you mean?" She asks with hope sparkling in her eyes. "You can stop the Harvest? You can save me?"

"Yes, come here," I gesture rapidly not wanting to waste any time in case we're interrupted. "Hold my hands."

She complies by walking over but doesn't place her hands in my outstretched ones.

"What are you going to do?"

"I can siphon the magic you are struggling to control," I explain. "I will absorb all the Harvest power and the witches won't be able to finish the ritual."

"What about their access to magic?" Davina seems strangely concerned about the witches. "It's ancestral magic so will they lose it all when it's transferred to you?"

"The New Orleans witches will if the power is not returned soon yes. I will not touch your magic Davina Claire, only the power from the Harvest that was meant to flow out anyway. You and I will be the only ones left in this city able to practice magic after the window to complete the Harvest has closed."

I don't explain to her that this is all a theory. That I have no way to test it out before we try it. I might die if I can't contain that amount of power but I'm willing to take the risk for young Davina.

I am an Original after all. I should be okay.

And if not... well I die and Hayley will get her happy ending.

I briefly wonder about my ending. Where am I'm destined to go if I die here?

If this is how I go out, at least I will have saved Davina. My own fate I try to put off thinking about because I'll either go to the Other Side as a vampire, or the ancestral plane where the ancestors will torture me for eternity.

"Right then," I clear my throat and ignore all my worries trying not to shudder at the thought of the ancestors. "Are you ready?"

Davina nods and I start to siphon her, causing her pain as I do. She cries out but I have to continue and she knows that. I keep on going and going, siphoning more and more until I feel extremely lightheaded.

Everything around me blurs but I force myself to keep pulling, unravelling the magic around Davina and taking it for my own. My hands start to shake and I nearly vomit but I push through the pain, we both do.

In the foggy distance I notice Marcel bursting into the room but he knows better than to touch us and interfere with what I'm doing, especially as I might mistakenly siphon from him if he breaks our link.

The walls in the room crack and I start to panic, knowing there's still a lot more Harvest magic to be siphoned off.

Can I absorb it all? Will I be able to hold it?

I'm thankful my husbands and wife aren't here because I know they wouldn't hesitate to stop me and sacrifice Davina in the Harvest instead. They put family above all and I know they would be absolutely furious to see me risk my own life like this.