Chapter 14 - Almost A Death Sentence

Warning: a heartbreaking medical diagnosis is delivered in today's chapter💔

This may be upsetting if you have personal/familial experience with a terminal condition. Please message me if you'd like more detailed information before reading.

I am aiming to cover this topic sensitively but also I will display real emotions and feelings throughout. This will be hard.

Ceryn x

———

Kol refuses to believe me when I say I'm fine.

He knows me well and he knows I'm lying.

After I screamed in excruciating pain, the rest of our family ran in. The fact that we were both naked wasn't even addressed, my family were so worried about me.

Now I'm sat in the doctor's office, praying to any ancestor who might be on my side. I doubt there are any.

"Ophelia Mikaelson," a middle aged woman in a lab coat calls my name and I stand up immediately, trying not to wince in pain.

I threw a hissy fit when my family made the appointment for me and finally calmed down when they promised to let me see the doctor alone. I was very surprised they agreed, but I refused to go otherwise.

"Take a seat here for me," the doctor gestures to a bed. "What's been going on?"

She listens patiently when I explain. There's not much to say apart from the tremendous pain in my lower back and pelvis, and bleeding when I use the bathroom or try to have sex.

"Is there any chance you could be pregnant?" The doctor asks and I laugh sadly.

"No, I'm infertile," I tell her trying not to cry.

She broaches the topic sensitively, but insists on taking a urine sample to check just incase. It will also allow other tests to be run to rule more causes out.

As we wait for the lab results to return, she examines me and I'm mortified when I have to remove my clothes.

"Don't worry, I've seen it all before," she reassures me but I'm still self conscious and embarrassed.

I close my eyes when she takes a swab from inside, her lips pressing together thinly when she sees a little blood.

Half an hour later I'm waiting twiddling my thumbs to soothe my nerves. The doctor returns very quickly.

"There are a few abnormalities in your urine sample," she is direct and honest with me. "I'd like to do an ultrasound to see what's going on a little better."

The word abnormalities makes me feel sick to my stomach.

"Do you know what's wrong?" I can't help myself asking. "Am I... am I pregnant?"

With all the pain I can't help but allow myself to believe in a glimmer of hope. If somehow I am pregnant I don't care that I'm hurting, I want a child more than anything.

The doctor doesn't answer my question, leaving me confused and scared.

"What's wrong?" I ask again but she simply presses the ultrasound scanner against my lower belly.

"I'm having a look for you now, hold still for me please," she replies her voice catching in her throat as she spots something on the screen.

Her heart rate rapidly increases and I start to panic myself. She refuses to tell me what's wrong though, repeating that I need to wait until she completes the scan fully.

Those moments last a lifetime.

I lie on my back with tears stinging my eyes. I know something is wrong and the doctor acting this way doesn't ease my nerves.