Chapter 2 - [smut] Avoiding Klaus

"My darling is everything alright?" Kol's voice rings out from behind me.

Hayley instantly puts two and two together, noticing Kol's shirt I am wearing. Funnily enough she doesn't know him well enough to pick up on his tense posture.

He is concerned about my reaction to Hayley and the fact that we're alone together. Understandably so, but he doesn't need to be. She is not the one I am angry and upset with. Although I can't say I'm not insanely jealous.

"We're fine Kol, I was about to apologise for attempting to feed from her earlier this evening," I put him at ease. "Hayley, I'm sorry, I should have had better control. I'm grateful Elijah stepped in when he did. It won't happen again."

"It's nothing to worry about. Here, have a blood bag from the fridge, you'll feel better."

She opens a door and pulls out a similar looking packet to the one Kol gave me earlier before handing it to me. It's not A+ but I appreciate it none the less.

"Thank you," I reply and she picks up her glass of water, leaving Kol and I alone in the kitchen. He swiftly walks over to me and pulls on the packet in my hands, opening it for me. Now I'll know how to do it myself next time.

"It's not as good as from the vein but it will do for now," he squints, wrinkling his nose. "Hospitals stock these plastic packets with blood in nowadays darling and they're much easier to store in the house."

I nod listening to his explanation as I drain the bag. I'm aware it's been nearly 100 years so there's a lot to learn. I'm glad I have my family to help me readjust as I've never had to do this before, it's really odd being daggered and waking up years later. I can sympathise more with Elijah, Kol and Rebekah now I fully understand what Klaus puts them through.

After draining two more bags we make our way back to his room.

"I'm not normally one to praise restraint as you very well know my darling, but you did well to keep calm with Hayley. I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now."

"What about when I nearly attacked her earlier?" I snort ignoring the last part about how I feel. He clearly wants me to open up to him but I can't.

It's too painful.

He scrutinises me out of the corner of his eye as he pulls the covers back over us again.

"Fia..." he sighs sadly, trailing his fingers lightly up and down my arm. He rests his chin on the top of my head and I lean into him. His familiar smell relaxes me and I close my eyes.

"My brother didn't mean for this to happen," he speaks quietly. I sit up angrily, yanking my arm away from him.

"Are you actually defending him Kol?"

"No of course not my darling. I just meant he didn't mean to hurt you. He would never want that."

"He believed I broke our promise of always and forever. You all did," I explain, my eyes watering once again and I blink frantically before tears build up.

Kol doesn't have an answer to that and I swallow the lump in my throat before lying back down. This time turning my back to him.

"I can't speak for my siblings Fia, just know I would never have stopped looking for you. Nik told us you just disappeared. I was so worried, even if you didn't want us anymore I had to know you were okay."

He kisses my shoulder gently and I stay perfectly still, pretending he hasn't affected me. It's a battle to keep my breathing even. I know he's telling the truth and I'm thankful for it.