Chapter 6 - My Son, My Boy

"Son?" I cry out and rush forwards to embrace him in my outstretched arms.

"You're alive, you made it out alive," I start sobbing immediately, feeling overwhelmed by the torrent of emotions flowing through me.

Marcel says nothing but returns the affection, hugging me tightly, just as surprised as I am. He's more than a head taller than me but I'm still his adoptive mother.

"I'm so sorry my boy, I should have checked everywhere and searched the world for you," I apologise over and over again, the guilt threatening to consume me.

"Mom," his voice cracks, full of emotion. "It's okay."

That sends me into a series of heart wrenching sobs, as I refuse to believe it.

"No it's not okay, but how are you here? Are you happy?"

"Mom, calm down, I'm okay," he reassures me like he always used to when I over-worried about him. "Everything is great here, I'm King of the city, I have everything I could ever want."

Hearing his words sparks confusion in my mind. I know Klaus is adamant to be King of New Orleans, I've heard him mention it at least a dozen times.

Is my husband trying to take this from our son?

I keep my worries to myself, deciding to take the matter up with Klaus later instead of worrying our son here. Marcel clearly doesn't know Klaus is plotting against him, I can't believe Klaus would ever do such a thing.

I am furious beyond belief.

How far have my family fallen in my absence?

I keep my raging emotions hidden, having sadly become quite good at it recently. Now I know why my husbands kept this hidden from me.

They knew I wouldn't approve of their plans.

"I'm proud of you," I pull away and look Marcellus straight in the eyes. I know he won't have heard that since the last time I told him centuries ago. So I say it again.

"Son, I'm so proud."

He tries to disguise the tears welling up in his eyes but fails to do so. I wipe his cheeks as his tears flow.

"I love you Mom," he tells me managing to heal my currently broken heart. I don't know how he knew that's what I needed to hear but he did.

"I love you Marcellus," I say back to him. "Forgive me for leaving you behind, if I knew you had survived I would have faced Mikael myself to save you."

"I know, I forgive you Mom," he alleviates my guilt and puts the past behind us.

We sit down in the church pews and I find out everything he's been up to since I've been gone. He confides in me about a plethora of things, but I can tell he's holding just as many back.

"Son, I must say, I'm not happy about your restrictions on the witches. It's their birthright, it's who they are. It's not right."

He sighs so I follow up with another question.

"Would you kill me if I performed magic in the French Quarter?"

He freezes, realising I know more than I initially let on. I'm aware he probably has a reason he's withholding information from me plus he has the witch Davina on his side too.

"You wouldn't risk it," he finally replies. "It would undermine my rule if I knowingly allowed you to break the rules, you wouldn't do that."

I sit back and we both think in silence. I don't bother telling him I've already performed complex magic right under his nose but I'm sure he suspects it now.