Chapter 16 - I Have Cancer

"Don't get mad..." I request as my heart pounds audibly. "Please don't get mad."

My family's faces are already mad and my eyes water involuntarily.

"It's okay Fia," Bekah says sweetly. "Just tell us, I'm sure it's not as bad as they're suggesting."

My silence refutes her statement, demonstrating it is as bad as Elijah has implied. In fact, it's worse.

"I went to the doctor," I twist my fingers together nervously, knowing I'm about to deliver news that will mean people are slaughtered.

My pause frustrates my family more.

"Do I need to call your doctor?" Elijah threatens but I don't admit that that won't bring any information to light. If he knew, he would be furious that I compelled her to hide it.

"Fia, just tell us. It's clearly medically... related..." Kol tries now and I turn to him pleadingly as I see realisation dawn on his face.

He goes white, putting together my panic over his health that came out of the blue and my health now.
Even if my reasoning for him to get those scans and tests made sense to him at the time, it's all makes much more sense now he truly realises why.

Because that's what's happened to me.

His eyes fill with tears instantly and he lets out a pained noise, coming from the back of his throat. I step towards him as he's frozen, shaking his head over and over in disbelief.

"I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong," his voice gets louder and louder with each word. "Is this why you were so adamant to have me checked out earlier?"

I swallow hard, knowing that he's worked it out. He is unbelievably hurt right now and I know this is exactly what he was worried about. His genuine fears of using dark blood magic have come true.

The consequences have hit me too hard.

"I'm sorry Kol. You're okay, it's only me affected," I admit mournfully, reaching for him to comfort and be comforted while we tell the others.

But he doesn't let me.

"Just you? That doesn't make it any better," he shouts, tears pouring out of his eyes now. "You did this. You couldn't wait for another few months to work this out properly. I knew something like this would happen."

He throws a chair across the room and storms over to grab another one, destroying everything in his path.

"Kol," Klaus grabs the next chair in his hands to stop him.

Kol simply yanks it out of his older brother's hands and smashes it into splinters. Rebekah and Klaus watch him, feeling disturbed and wondering what's making him act out like this.

"Tell them," Kol shouts, holding up a chair in my direction almost threateningly. I know he would never hurt me, he's just furious but Elijah steps in to shelter me if Kol does decide to send a chair hurtling in my direction.

"Kol stop. She is pregnant for gods sake," Beks snaps at Kol who simply scoffs at her.

"Not for much longer. No baby can survive chemotherapy," he spits out glaring at me.

And with that he throws the last chair across the room, breaking a beautiful oil painting hung up on the opposite wall.

"Chemotherapy?" Elijah repeats, completely thrown off by the word. "Ophelia, what is he referring to."

My mouth goes dry and I honestly don't know how to explain.

"Don't make me ask you a second time," Elijah warns lowly, scanning my face for an answer.