FOSTER MOMMY TROUBLES

"SKEWER, good job," Neoma praised the scythe cheerfully. She even gently patted the curved blade. Surprisingly, the blade would turn into rubber whenever she would touch it. In short, Skewer wasn't capable of hurting its wielder. "Thank you for protecting me."

Skewer's black blade glowed as if it was happy with her compliment.

Then, it disappeared and went back inside her body. As soon as the scythe disappeared, she heard someone clear his throat.

Oh. Someone wants attention, huh?

She looked up at Tteokbokki, now a six feet tall red dragon, who stood proudly in front of her. "Why do you look so smug?" she asked, "bullying" him again. She wasn't being mean to her Soul Beast out of spite. It was just how they bonded over the years. If she'd be honest, she'd say that Tteokbokki was already like a younger brother to her. "Do you want me to thank you?"

"You should!" Tteokbokki insisted. "If it weren't for my scales, you would have been badly hurt by those Shadow Ghosts!"

"But it was me and my big brain who figured out that I can borrow your attributes and use it as my weapon," she teased him. "You should thank me for helping you reach your maximum potential."

Her Papa Boss taught her that Soul Beasts were their family's living "weapons."

She also saw her father use the White Tiger and the Vermilion Bird to attack his enemies several times for the past three years. Of course, she wouldn't deny that the emperor was fearsome to be able to control and command such powerful holy beasts.

But the way my Papa Boss fights isn't my style.

Thankfully, she had seen a variety of shounen manga and action/fantasy webtoon series in her second life. She remembered that some of the OP characters could use the attributes of mystical beings such as a dragon.

And thus, she experimented with Tteokbokki.

"I smell favoritism here," Tteokbokki complained. "Why are you only mean to me? I never saw you treat Skewer or the hell dogs the way you treat me!"

"Skewer and our homie dogs aren't mine," she said with a smile. "I will only take care of them for a period of time, silly. In short, they're like my foster children. But you..." She pointed a finger at Tteokbokki, then she gave him a thumbs up. "I can bully you for the rest of my life since we're inseparable."

The Soul Beast suddenly fell silent.

Then, much to her surprise, he suddenly transformed into his "casual form"– a "white" unicorn (the size of a baby donkey) with patches of red on his skin.

She smiled and patted Tteokbokki's cheek. Since he had a horn in that form, she couldn't really pat his head. "You may rest for now, Tteokbokki," she said. "I'll torture you again later."

"Hmp!" Tteokbokki said as his body started to turn translucent. "Don't call me while I'm resting, thug princess."

"Shut up," she said with a laugh. "Being a tsundere doesn't suit you, Tteokbokki."

Her Soul Beast just rolled his eyes at her before he completely disappeared.

"Princess Neoma?"

Neoma turned around and smiled at Lewis. "Did you prepare our snacks?"

"Yes," Lewis said. "You should eat and rest, Princess Neoma."

***

NIKOLAI couldn't concentrate while reading the papers that he needed to sign at the end of the day.

He couldn't get his mind off Neoma's unexpected brilliance.

She's the first de Moonasterio to ever use her Soul Beast that way.