THE ROLE OF A TWIN

Chapter 21

THE ROLE OF A TWIN

"YOUR MAJESTY, I received a report from Alphen."

Nikolai continued buttoning his linen shirt. "Did the foxy boy escape like we expected?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," Glenn said. "Lewis is on his way to the Blanco Palace. But don't worry, Your Majesty. My squad will apprehend the boy."

To be honest, if the foxy boy was in his top condition, he doubted if his royal knights could catch the little guy. But since the foxy boy was still weak because of his injury, he was confident that the knights under Glenn's squad could deal with the young butler.

Anyway, it didn't surprise him to know that his hunch was correct.

The fire in Neoma's eyes when he told her that he wouldn't allow her to go to the temple told him that she didn't have any intention to listen to him. When he heard that the royal princess visited the foxy boy before she returned to her palace, he knew she was up to no good. That was why he asked his knights to monitor Neoma and the foxy boy's movements closely.

[And I was right.]

"Alright. Deal with the foxy boy and make sure he won't escape to follow us," he told the knight. Then, he turned to him. "I'm going to the temple with the royal princess. You know what to do while I'm gone, don't you?"

This wouldn't be the first time that he'd leave the palace without telling his advisors and Glenn was already used to it.

"Your Majesty, I can deal with your advisors and hide the fact that you're not in the palace," Glenn said in a worried voice. "But are you really going to do it...?"

Aside from his cousin Rufus Quinzel, Glenn was also someone he trusted.

He told his knight the reason why he was leaving the palace with the royal princess. And that seemed to bother Glenn.

[What a softie.]

He grew up with Glenn and he had always known that the knight had a soft spot for kids. So he wasn't really surprised when he questioned his decision.

"A prince is more important than a princess," Nikolai said indifferently. "Nero is my heir so I can't let him die. If sacrificing Neoma's life is the only way to save the crown prince, then I'll do it."

Every pair of twins born in the de Moonasterio family had a connection and bond stronger than ordinary siblings.

[That includes sharing the same life force.]

"I only kept the royal princess alive because I know that her life force can replace the life force of the royal prince if the need for it arises," he continued. "I'll personally check on Nero's condition and decide the next course of action. And if the saint's divine power still doesn't work on the royal prince by the time that we arrive in the temple, then I'll take matters into my own hands."

"I hope the royal prince's condition gets better as soon as possible," the knight said and he sounded hopeful. "Your Majesty, I don't want us to lose the royal princess that way."

"You're doing it again," he said while shaking his head. "When will you learn to not get attached to the princesses born in the royal family?"

Glenn let out a deep sigh. "I just don't want Princess Neoma to end up like the former Princess Nichole, the Princess Royal."

Hearing his older twin sister's name again after a long time unexpectedly gave a tug at his heart. But of course, he just ignored the tightening of his chest. Grieving for a person who was already long gone was a luxury that he couldn't afford as an emperor.