BONUS CHAPTER - Jonah's POV #1

His eyes almost magnetically follow her as she leaves the cafe. She pauses just outside the door to fix the blazer over her shoulder and check her phone, and he wishes she'd look back over her shoulder so he could see her face again. Through the window, he watches her cross the road and walk a short distance—stopping just on the sidewalk near the front door that leads to the lobby of Archer Tower.

Huh. He's supposed to go in there for a meeting in about an hour.

Then he watches as an Audi A8 stops right in front of a building, and a man in a black-and-white suit comes out to open the rear door for her.

... Huh.

An Audi A8? He knows full well that's not an Uber. What is Hannah Taylors doing in Manhattan, being picked up by a chauffeured Audi A8? Well, all he knows is that she was here to meet a friend—that was what she told him. Does she know someone who works at Archer? Maybe Gina works there, and they're having lunch together or something. That doesn't really explain the fancy pickup, though.

The car drives away, and once it's out of sight, Jonah finally falls back into the wooden chair behind him. Almost blankly, he reaches out for his cup of coffee, and takes a sip. It's lukewarm now. He chugs it down, just barely managing not to choke on it again.

What are the chances that Hannah Taylors is here in New York, coming into a random coffee shop in the financial district, just the right moment that he's here? He feels like throwing up a little. With one hand covering his mouth, he replays back the encounter that happened just five minutes ago. What did he say to her? Did he say anything stupid, anything embarrassing? Did he stumble over his words? He has no idea. It's all a blur.

He's positive that he was just sitting there, gaping at her like an idiot. She was so beautiful—that was the only thing on his mind and the rest is a blur. He doesn't think he's ever seen her like that—dressed in a slim-fitted dress that hugs her curves, a smart blazer over her shoulder, long hair tied up in a ponytail. Were those diamond earrings? She was wearing heels, he's pretty sure. She looked like a model. Maybe she is? What has she been up to, lately? Did she go back to acting, try out her luck in New York? Maybe Broadway, instead of Hollywood? Did she make it? That could explain the Audi. Or why she's in New York. Jonah has so many questions right now.

He regrets not keeping up on her all these years. He could've tried, even if she made it hard. But she didn't look like she despised him, though—which is a bit puzzling. He always assumed that she hated his guts—after all, she refused to see him and blocked his number a few short months after he made an ass out of himself and proposed to her the day of her brother's wedding.

That was the biggest mistake in his life. What a fucking moron. What was he thinking, shoving a ring in front of her face when he should've been groveling at her feet, apologizing for going hot and cold on her? For missing her birthday? For being a shitty boyfriend?

He can still remember the look on her face when he knelt in front of her with that stupid ring. How her face went white, how tears were running down her cheeks. How she struggled to answer. She was never going to say yes—he should've known that. She should hate him. He'd deserve it.

Which is why it's completely insane that he's got her new number saved in his contacts. Five years and countless sleepless nights later.

Jonah taps the phone in his hand, lighting up the screen. Just to double check, he opens the contact list—and there it is. Hannah Taylors's new phone number, right there.

So, he didn't dream it up, after all.

He finishes his coffee in one gulp and stands up. He leaves the cafe and crosses the street, walking into the lobby of Archer Tower for his meeting.