Chapter Forty-nine

"Morning!" Freddie greets us with a big smile as he swings open the front door to his house. "Come on, come on in. Mr. Gibbs, welcome to my humble abode."

"Thanks for... having me, I guess?" Jonah replies unsurely. With our hands clasped together, I lead him through the foyer and into the living room of Freddie's humble townhouse. He looks around and hums a little. "Nice place."

"Thanks. It's a little bare, I know. I'm rarely ever home. She probably knows this place better than I do."

I go straight for Lucy who's sitting on the carpet in the living room, curiously tapping on Freddie's iPad with her little fingers. I sigh tiredly. "Freddie! How many times do I have to tell you not to leave my kid alone with an iPad?!"

"I literally only went away for five seconds to open the door for you!" he protests. "And I promise, no Baby Shark this time."

I take a look at the screen. She's just drawing colorful scribbles on the Notes app, but still. I just don't want her to grow up to be an iPad-dependent kid, is that too much to ask?

"I was teaching her how to draw cats. As you can see," Freddie gestures at Lucy, who's now looking up at me with a bored expression on her face, "I'm not really succeeding."

Lucy huffs, "Mama, I'm hungry."

I glare at Freddie. "You didn't feed her breakfast?"

He holds up both hands in surrender. "She said she wanted bananas again. I didn't wanna burn the kitchen down so that's all she had."

"You're so hopeless," I mutter. Then I turn to Lucy, who's already pushing herself up and walking toward me on her own. "C'mon, let's get something to eat, yeah?"

The two men follow us toward the kitchen, and I can hear them exchanging a quick "How are you doing?" behind me. Honestly, I was nervous about bringing Jonah here. But we all need to have a talk like the grown adults that we are. They look friendly enough with each other, which calms my nerves a little.

"You have anything in mind for breakfast?" I ask Lucy, trying to keep myself from listening to my boyfriend (?) and my husband speaking to each other.

"Hmmm. Eggs?" Lucy responds in a questioning tone.

"Scrambled?" I open the fridge. Freddie's apparently had it restocked yesterday, which is nice.

"Mm-hm. With cheese?" she requests.

"I can do that. You want anything else on it?"

"No," she responds simply.

"Alright."

I pull out a carton of eggs from the fridge, along with some fresh veggies. By the time I return to the counter after grabbing the skillet from the cupboard, Jonah's already whisking eggs in a bowl, and I put my hands on my hips in protest.

"I can cook scrambled eggs!"

Jonah smirks a little and keeps whisking. "Freddie just told me otherwise, actually."

The asshole just shrugs innocently. "It's a hit or miss most of the time. I can't keep throwing away my pans."

I can't cuss him out in front of Lucy, so I just roll my eyes in annoyance. "And you guys are already teaming up against me. That's great!"

"So, eggs and cheese for Lucy?" Jonah asks.

"And veggies for the grown-ups," I grumble as I help Lucy onto the stool, before sitting next to her. "There's spinach and more stuff in the fridge."

He checks the fridge. "You still like having avocado toast on the side?"

I melt into the seat, and answer with a sigh, "Yeah. You still remember."