Chapter Fifty-three

Later, I find Jonah standing in the hallway outside of the ballroom, in front of the restroom, waiting for me. I suspected that he followed me out after I stood up and left my table for a quick bathroom break—I was hoping that he would. Now as I walk out to the hallway, I can see that his back is leaning on the wall, his foot tapping the ground, and there's a small frown on his face. He's the most beautiful man I've ever laid my eyes on.

And yes. Ryan Gosling was in the room. I still maintain my opinion, though.

"Hey, stranger."

He looks up, the frown fading away into a small smile. "Hey."

I smile back slightly. "Need a direction to the men's restroom, Mr. Gibbs? It's on the opposite end of the hallway, actually."

Jonah shakes his head with a chuckle. Then sighs. "I didn't know she'd be here, Hannah. I didn't know she was a part of the collaboration until I got here this afternoon."

"Oh. Okay." I let out a sigh of my own, biting the side of my lip. "Was it obvious?"

His eyebrows draw inwards in confusion. "What was obvious?"

"That I was... well. Jealous."

He chuckles lightly. "Well, I mean, you walked away so fast, even in that gown and those heels. I would've run after you, but—"

I groan, throwing my head back. "I know. Sorry. I know, I was being irrational. I'll try not to be jealous. You're not with her anymore. I know that."

"That's right. And... I get it. I was jealous, too. Remember?" Jonah's voice holds a tiny amount of amusement. "I would've told you if I'd known she'd be here. Also, Renata and I haven't been together since... two years ago, give or take."

"Okay." He looks so earnest. I'm fighting so hard not to reach out to take his hand. "I'm sorry."

"No, don't apologize for that." He smiles a bit wider, almost a smirk. "I like it. I like that you're jealous."

My eyes narrow at him. "You like that I'm jealous."

He fully smirks now, although it's clear that he's trying to hold it in. "Well, yeah. It's nice to see the possessive look in your eyes. I was afraid that you were going to pounce on her."

Okay, now he's just exaggerating it. I am not that deranged. I roll my eyes, but I'm grinning still. "I can't wait for all of this to be over so I can stake my claim on you."

He steps closer then, just enough so I can hear him when he whispers, "It's taking everything in me not to take your hands and walk you back inside with you in my arms. But I can be patient."

I smile wickedly, my own voice down to a whisper, "It's taking everything in me not to push you against this wall and just... kiss you. Right here. Right now. But, you know. We can't. Not here."

Jonah groans lowly, closing his eyes. "Dammit. Don't say things like that. Not now. You're killing me."

I giggle. "Sorry."

"I'm a patient man, Hannah, but you're pushing my limits," his voice strains as he pulls away, pressing his back to the wall behind him. He peeks out at me with one eye like it hurts to look at me. "You should go in first. We can't be seen walking together."

"Don't be dramatic," I tease, rolling my eyes. "Come on, take my arm. We can keep it professional, Mr. Gibbs."

He sighs as he does so, though there's that tiny, beautiful tilt of his lips, back on his face. "You're killing me, Hannah Taylors."

Jonah absolutely has no idea the amount of effort it's taking me to act like he's a stranger. To be so close to him and not be able to yell at the top of my lungs that he's mine.