Chapter Fifty-five

My flight back to New York is tonight—things can get really busy at the school at the end of the year, and I can't afford to take any more days off besides today. The good news is: Jonah will also be flying to New York with me, and then he'll be spending the short Thanksgiving break with me in the city.

I didn't bring anything with me when Jonah snuck me out of the event on Sunday night, so I had to borrow his clothes. My bags and everything were left at Freddie's suite, though, so now Jonah is driving me to The Beverly Hills Hotel while I'm in an oversized shirt and a pair of loose jogger pants—both raided from his closet—which is a very fashionable choice, I personally think.

I texted Freddie this morning to let him know that I was spending the night at Jonah's place in case the chauffeur he assigned was looking for me. He didn't reply—probably too tired after a late night flight back to New York and then going straight to an important meeting or something the next morning, I assume.

The next few weeks are going to get a bit crazy. The documents are prepared and being reviewed by our lawyers before we can file them. Freddie will have a team ready to monitor the situation once our divorce news goes public, to make sure my privacy stays intact and prevent any misinformation from spreading.

Soon enough, I'll legally be a single woman again. Soon enough, I'll get to hold Jonah's hand in public without worrying about ruining Freddie's reputation. It's all pretty nerve-wracking, to be honest.

It's almost noon when we finally arrive at the hotel. Jonah's taking me sight-seeing in our last few hours before our flight to New York, so I'm just gonna go for a quick change into my own clothes. I fish for my copy of the keys to the suite from my clutch as Jonah whistles to himself, visibly admiring the place.

"Did you regret not accepting my offer to spend the night here?" I tease him.

He smiles and shrugs. "We did have fun at my place though, didn't we?"

"True," I laugh. "It's really nice. I've only been here twice before, and it makes me feel so guilty to sleep here knowing how much it costs per night."

I finally get the door open and, to my surprise, the lights in the living space are already on. Jonah makes himself comfortable on the couch; meanwhile, I make my way to the master bedroom, getting my bags so we can leave right away. I open the door and turn on the lights—and promptly let out a shriek.

"What the fuck!"

Two people spring up from under the plush comforter and I stagger backwards in surprise. The blonde-haired head is instantly recognizable, but the other person takes a minute for me to sink in and—

"What the fuck?" I repeat, in an astonished tone this time.

The sleepy voice of my legally wedded, not-yet-divorced husband groans out, "This isn't what it looks like."

"Wait—Hannah?!" a female voice pipes in, after rubbing her eyes and doing a double take. "Don't tell me... Your fake wife is Hannah Taylors? My college roommate?!"

"Not actually fake, it's all real and legal, yadda yadda, you already know all about this." Freddie moans and throws himself back into the bed, and hos face is muffled into the pillows now. "Oh, fuck me. I didn't want you guys to find out like this."

"Oh, my god, fuck off, Freddie!" Tammy throws the blanket off herself as I watch the two of them with my mouth wide open, still trying to process everything I'm currently seeing. "All this time? I've been sleeping with you while you're married to HANNAH?"

I brace the wall behind me for support. My voice is faint when I ask, "You guys have been sleeping together? Multiple times? In the past?"

There's an unintelligible noise coming from Freddie's direction as he buries himself into the fat pillows. Tammy is currently butt-ass naked and collecting her underwear from the floor. I feel really dizzy.