Oh The Memories

Limited Life

Joel x Etho

Joel watched in horror as his home burned once again. He took a deep shuddering breath as Grian laid a hand on his right shoulder in a calming manner. Jimmy gasped in anger from Joel's other side and yelled words that Joel couldn't hear over his raging heart.

Joel's breath was coming out in short gasps, and he was trembling in suppressed rage. He couldn't hear the comforting words that Grain whispered to him nor the cries of rage exploding from Jimmy. Joel's eyes stung with tears, but he held them back with bitter determination. The forest blurred around him, and he felt his heart rate pick up as the memories rushed back in.

The ship burning in front of them.

The overwhelming feeling of loss.

A comforting hand on his shoulder.

Etho.

Unable to stand watching another one of his homes burn, Joel took off running into the woods. He barely heard the cries of his teammates as he ran, but that hardly mattered. Unsure where he was going, he raced through the woods, his breath unsteady and ragged. Suddenly, he burst out at the mouth of the river. He looked back to see the Clockers mountain, and he looked forward and saw TIES Tower.

Barely able to register what he was doing, Joel crossed the river and walked slowly down the other side. All of a sudden, Joel heard the worried cries of Grian from behind him. Not wanting to talk, Joel raced off in the opposite direction from Grian with a sigh. His feet carried him past TIES Tower and up onto the mob farm.

Joel sat down and pulled his knees to his chest, his emotions overcoming him. He began to cry softly, his shoulders shaking with every breath. Suddenly Joel heard a voice from behind him and he looked up with surprise.

“I've got a Joel farm.”

Joel turned around to see Etho standing above him. His eyes crinkled a tell tale sign that he was smiling under the mask. Etho sat down beside Joel, and without another word, he wrapped his arm around Joel and pulled him into a one-armed hug. Joel sighed and melted into Etho, causing his former soulmate to laugh softly. It was at this moment that Joel realized how much he’d missed Etho.

“Are you okay?” Etho asked, and Joel winced, burrowing further into Etho's embrace.

“Is it the mansion?” Etho prompted with a sigh.

Joel nodded and finally spoke.

“It's just like Double Life all over again.” He sniffed, and Etho rubbed his arm gently. “Except you weren't there.”

Joel sighed and leaned back. Etho patted Joel's shoulder before standing up. Joel looked worried for a moment, but Etho kneeled back down in front of him.

“I'll be back. Just give me one second.”

Joel nodded slowly, and Etho stood up and raced away. He turned to look over the ocean and noticed that the sun was going down over the water.  Joel wondered what Etho was doing, but he didn't have much time to think. After a few minutes, Etho came back with an armload of blankets and a sweet smile on his unmasked face.

Joel found himself blushing in the presence of his soulmate, and he quickly looked away when Etho winked cheekily at him. Etho laughed softly, and he walked over the roof of the mob farm and sat beside Joel.

“I was thinking we could watch the stars for a little while.” Etho suggested softly. “Like what we used to do on the ship.”

Joel nodded, and Etho laid out the blanket on the floor. He sat down on it and patted the ground beside him. Joel smiled and crawled onto the blanket, sitting beside Etho. Etho threw a light green blanket over Joel and grabbed a blue one for himself.