Chapter 39: Lena

AN: Welp, here we are at the end. Thank you for taking the time to read. I hope those who come across this in the future enjoy it as well. It's been a privilege to write. I did my best to wrap up all aspects of the relationship, both big and little. 

I hope you enjoy! There will be another little/caregiver fic coming along in the next couple of weeks so if you're interested, stick around!

----------

"What is this house?" Ruby exclaimed, stepping across the threshold behind her mom. In her arms, she was cradling a casserole dish covered in tinfoil. In her defense, the entryway did have a whole outdoor waterfall feature and colorful rocks amongst the greenery. The landscaper was talented so I had let him do as he pleased.

"I told you it would be alot, Kid." Sam pushed her further into the house, careful to keep a hand on her back so she wouldn't trip over her own feet. "Just do me a favor and don't get lost."

"Can I really get lost?"

"Ignore her. You can't get lost," Kara teased, stepping in to take the dish and carry it into the kitchen. "Feel free to wander around."

"Do I need to take off my shoes?" she whispered, but she wasn't necessarily all that great at being quiet. I bit my lip and watched Kara lean down ever so slightly to be eye level with Ruby. They were cute together, and the way Kara teasingly shook her head, made my heart swell.

"Are we the first ones here?" Sam sat down at the island, hands clasped in front of her.

"No. Alex and Kelly are outside on the patio." I waved towards the sliding door. There was a low thrum of music, muted only by the closed door. "Though, be prepared; they've been glued to each other the whole time and you might want to cover your eyes before going out."

"Gross." Ruby grimaced but I knew her well enough to know when she was teasing. Ruby and Kelly were best buddies. "I'm gonna go look around since everyone else has seen this damn monstrosity."

"Don't cuss," Sam scolded. "You might be 16, but save that for when you're not in front of me."

"At least you don't pretend that I'm not gonna do it. I'm not as bad as Lena."

I grimaced as Kara and Sam both fixed me with unamused expressions. "What? I'm Irish. How many times do I have to tell you guys that cussing is the default mode?"

Sam rolled her eyes and mumbled, "At least you get time outs."

"Hey! I heard that," I arched an eyebrow, thankful that Ruby had already left the room. She knew the truth about everything but it had not been something I had let her see just yet. It didn't feel right for some reason, regardless of how mature she was.

Sam shrugged. "I'm just sayin'."

"Do you wanna go into the timeout, Sam? That can be arranged. Stool's in the corner." Kara turned to point towards the small nook in the corner of the living room out of the way. I felt myself blush profusely, ducking out of the line of fire. What she didn't know was I had already spent a small bit of the morning in that corner. Ripping my diaper off and stomping through the house in anger was apparently not the move to make when everyone was trying to get ready for a housewarming party.

"You wouldn't dare..." But Kara's up-ticked eyebrow was enough to make her face fall. "Okay, maybe you do. Sorry Mom."

"She's my mommy. Not yours," I mumbled, a small claw of jealousy scratching at my chest. I could feel the fuzziness starting to tug at my mind, but I pushed it away. Too many people were coming to the house and Ruby was there. If it wasn't for Ruby, I would give in, letting it slip over me like a blanket.