The Calm before the Storm

Start from the beginning

She kept finding out new things about him. He liked watching classic movies. He hated loud music. He loved playing with her hair, running his hands through her blond curls whenever they sat next to each other at the dinner table. He loathed sunscreen.

There was a whole host of quirky mannerisms she would never have guessed he had.

It was amazing. He was amazing. After Neal, she thought there would never be anyone that could make her happy. There had been Grahm, but everyone knew how that had ended.

August had never been an option, even though she could feel that he felt something more than friendship toward her. But Hook had been the first person -not in her family- in a very long time who could make her feel like she was at home.

Her heart suddenly twisted in her chest. She had come so close to losing him the other day. Gold could have killed him. Would have killed him. Later, at Granny's, Hook had said that it was only because of her he was still alive, but she knew that was a lie. Luck had saved him. And since it had, she had been plagued with paranoia of what would have happened if she had been five minutes late. If luck hadn't been on her side that day. She had started calling the day when he almost died "That Night."

The worst night.

She had spent half her life thinking love was nothing but heartbreak. She couldn't go back.

Emma Swan did not do well with loosing people.

She hailed a taxi home. It was close enough to walk, but she wasn't going to risk it. Not with a psychopath with magical powers on the loose. And especially not after what Hook had said, that Gold was in need of her powers. Plus, the taxi driver owed her a favor.

She spent the ride home thinking about how happy she was that it was pizza night.

                                                                          *************

She opened the door and was met with a wave of sounds. David was having a heated conversation on the phone and Mary Margaret was tending to a squealing Baby Neal. But the real noise was coming from the corner, near the TV. After saying a quick hello to her parents, she went to investigate the commotion. Henry and Hook were sitting crosslegged on the floor in front of the Television, game consoles in hand, eyes fixated on the screen. Henry was screaming "NO NO NO!" while Hook apparently pulled ahead in whatever video game they were into at the moment.

A horn blaired from the speaker as a woman's voice declared that the game was over.

"Victory!" Hook announced, punching his fists in the air and falling back onto his back.

Henry looked utterly shocked.

Hook looked over at her and grinned. It was a lopsided grin. The kind of grin that made her heart flutter in her chest.

"Ah, my lucky star!" Hook exclaimed, propping himself up on his elbows. There had been an incident a week or two ago, in which he had managed to cover himself in spaghetti sauce, (a feat he swears was all her fault for distracting him) and since then he had been wearing a variety of different color button down shirts of David's and dark gray dress pants. This costume change had been her idea, not to fond of having Hook smell like old spaghetti all day.

She had to admit. It was one of her best ideas ever.

He was so gorgeous.

It was so unfair.

Henry was stammering.

Hook raised himself to his feet, messing Henry's brown hair as he stood. And just as it had ever day since the fight at the clocktower, about a week ago, the flashback struck her. She had to close her eyes as the sudden memory of Hook, on his knees, with his heart in Rumpelstiltskin hands, his own clutching his chest, eyes wide and staring, fact contorted in pain-

"Try not to take it too harshly lad, Im sure you'll win next time." The words brought her back to reality, as her son moaned in fake pain. Losing was not Henry's strong point.

"Grand Theft Auto?" She asked as Hook walked towards her, naming one of Henry's latest favorites, and basing her guess off the shape of the game counsels.

Hook shook his head, still grinning.

"Mario Kart."

Hook wrapped his hands around her elbows and pulled her in for a kiss. She shut her eyes and leaned into him, enjoying the sweetness of the kiss after the long day. He smelled like he always did. Like clean clothes and peppermint. Suddenly a thought crossed her mind and reluctantly, she pulled away, staring over Hook's shoulder at Henry's limp figure.

"He beat you at Mario Kart?" she asked, incredulous. She and Henry had played Mario Kart for almost everyday for a year during Peter Pans Curse. He had almost always won.

The only response was Henry banging his head on the table.

She blinked.

"Mario Kart?" This time her voice held laughter.

Henry groaned and threw a pillow in her direction. Hook laughed, releasing her elbows and swiping the pillow in the air, tossing it back in Henry's direction.

"It was my first time as well." Hook commented indifferently, but with a teasing edge.

That, apparently, was all the shame Henry could stomach.

"REMATCH!" He yelled from the couch where he had his head hidden under a pillow.

Grinning again, Hook kissed her forehead, hard and fast, pulled away and dived into Mario Kart part 2. She sat down on the arm of the couch and prayed no one called her to rant for at least an hour.

End Authors Note!:

Thank you again for anyone taking the time to read my story. 

Please tell me what you think so far in the comments! I will be updating this story all throughout the day, and it gets better!