"I want you to be prepared for this and protect yourself and your daughter." His eyes glaze up my bare arms to my face avoiding my chest like it's gonna cough on him. "I appreciate you being honest thanks Callahan."

"you can call me Cal I'm not a fan of Oliver either"

I nod leaning closer brushing my knee against his. "Cal" I say calmly pulling my hair up in a messy bun. My tank top sticking to my body it's fitted. But also slightly see through. And it's distracting. "Is that all?"

He opens his mouth but then doesn't say anything "yeah that's all." he murmurs I nod "wait here's my card if you need anything. Anything." He repeats I got the card before but I'd be lying if I pretend I didn't toss it as soon as possible I nod standing up.

I watch his eyes drop to my chest just once but his voice deepens and his eyes darkened.

"Why were you guys asking about me being sex trafficked" I question it's unbelievable how much I wanted Marcus to just be normal but he's like the big bad wolf. I'm unsure who to believe I'm inclined to believe the police but the law isn't always right.
that has nothing to do with Marcus.

"It was for an ongoing investigation of a Montenello sex tracking ring."

My lips twist upwards. "Sounds juicy." I say crossing my arms as my breast push upwards.

His eyes drop once more but they avert the gentlemen in him is having a battle.

"You should come by tomorrow tell me everything you can" I ask batting my lashes at him. He licks his lips "perhaps I will." With a smoldering grin "I get off at six" I add as he stands up I open the door once more "thank you for telling me." He nods. I shut the door feeling all blushed with butterflies.

I pick up my phone calling Colten "I wanna meet him." I say impulsively. I think my daddy might be going back to prison.

After I get off of work I pick Emilianna from daycare I sometimes work from home but I needed to go in.

I picked up some groceries Katerina you should visit more often "I miss you." Rick says my landlord "I'm so busy you know." I brush him off going down to his filthy office. I'm paying him rent can he just end our conversations there.

"You in summer with those cute shorts and those tight shirts-" he has no fucking filter especially when he's drunk like he is now. "I've gotta go I'll see you next month-"
" hopefully sooner sweetie" I squeeze my eyes shut. Heading up to my door Cal is there I balance Emilianna on one arm with groceries and my purse in the other.

I open my door setting her down Emilianna "say hi Cal" I politely ask of her "hi cal" she says bouncing around pretending to be a ballerina I grin at her in her little own world.

"Hey Beautiful" he compliments her she smiles i set down my groceries I make her fruit and yogurt. Something to snack on.

I sit down on the couch "did you want something to drink?" I ask just to be polite.
"no I'm alright."

"How long has he been locked up for?" I say lowering my voice "5 years" he replies oh I thought it was decades "5 years for what?"
"Stealing from a dead body" My lips part woah kinda fucked up.

"He was originally on trial for murder but couldn't prove it."

"Five years for stealing is wild." I mumble watching Emilianna eat her food.
"Well it was what he stole." He says unhappily and there's conviction.

"You sound like you knew him personally were you on the case?" I ask playfully "no I was 17 at the time but Bates was."

"Well he was there he wasn't involved. At least not to my knowledge." I nod. "He takes every case personally though." He says pretty confident.

"I've been thinking about what I said to you and I don't mean to scare you in anyway at all." i shake my head "you didn't." He came out of hiding was it for me probably not. I bite on my lower lip.

"Can I ask you something it's forward and has nothing to do with what we're talking about."
He nods with an encouraging yet nervous smile "Are you married?" I ask he looks flattered "no I'm not married Katerina."

I grin "good." He tilts his head "good." He repeats "are you?"
"no." I giggle "why?" I ask tucking my chin "your fucking gorgeous I know you know it I just find it hard to believe that you're not seeing
anyone." I sigh nodding my head I have baggage.

I lower my eyes looking at Emilianna who's playing with her kitchen set.

"She's my whole damn world I love her so much it's the consuming type. Her safety is important and when I was younger I never felt safe my home wasn't stable and these strange men were always coming around. My mother was a drug addict." I haven't been on a date or anything like that since she was conceived. Except maybe if you count Colten. He technically took me on a date. With Emilia.

It's important to me that she has a sense of safety I know recently with Colten and him that's two men but I don't leave her alone with them. I trust Colten very much it's just he doesn't know the first thing about taking care of a baby.

I didn't either I was prepared to give her up for adoption but I looked at her and I couldn't do it.

"So my priorities are always with Emilia." I say he nods with an understanding look. "Now why are you single. You're sexy and sweet tall too. tell me why there's no ring." I say pulling a pillow in my lap.

"I've been told I'm emotionally distant and I'm too involved with work." My mouth twist oddly specific. "you have a very intense job I understand why you would be." I say he shrugs "yesterday I was thinking you must be gay but then you kept looking at my breast and I thought there's no way." I stammer he sighs embarrassed and displeased "I'm very fucking sorry." he apologizes.

"It's okay. I stare at them more than anyone else." I admit. His lips turn upwards. "It's not my mother raised me better than that."

"All on her own?" I clarify he nods. "All by herself."