XVIII

The rain pattered against the windows in Drake's room, and Demi tried her best to allow that sound to soothe her back to sleep, but it was no use. So she stayed awake, switching between watching the rain fall to the ground outside and watching Drake sleep so peacefully. Whenever something bad would happen in his dream, his eyebrows would scrunch up, but Demi would take her finger and smooth them down before he was calm and peaceful again, and the bad thing that was happening was over.

She didn't even know what time it was. Time didn't matter. She knew that she had to pick up Lola and confirm final details for her party and rehearse for her performance, but she couldn't care about any of that right now when she was finally content for the first time in months. And it was all because of him.

"Looking out on the morning rain, I used to feel so uninspired. And when I knew I had to face another day. Lord it made me feel so tired," Demi softly sang, fully turning on her side so that she was face to face with Drake, even if he was still sleeping.

"Before the day I met you, life was so unkind, but you're the key to my peace of mind. Cause you make me feel, you make me feel, you make me feel like a natural woman." When she finished, Drake's eyes fluttered open and he gave her a smile, which she instantly returned.

"Is this what I get to wake up to from now on?" Drake questioned as Demi nodded and let her head rest on his chest. She hoped that she could wake up to this every day. She would never get tired of feeling as happy as she did now.

They lied there in a content smile for a while, knowing that even though the weather outside was ugly and they just wanted to stay in each other's arms, they couldn't, because their lives didn't stop and they couldn't stop.

Knowing that she had a busy day ahead of her, Demi finally moved to get up but Drake held her captive in his arms as she giggled and began to thrash around, because she really did have to go pick Lola up.

"Don't leave yet, I just got you back." Demi turned around in his arms and leaned up to give him a simple peck on the lips.

"And you have me. But I have to go get Lola and then I have a few meetings to go to. As much as I just wanna stop the world and stay with you, I can't. Not today." He released her from his grip and as soon as she was out of the bed, she stretched out her sore muscles and walked into his bathroom. The first thing that she needed to do was shower, and she probably still had some clothes over his house so it would be okay.

"Hey," he greeted, opening the door to the shower and leaning against it.

"What?"

"I love you," and he didn't wait for her to say it back, but deep inside of him he knew, he just knew, that she had to love him too.

"You know how you said I had to go the VMAs with you?" Drake questioned after they had both (finally) exited the shower.

"I didn't say you had to if you don't want to but it would be nice," Demi clarified as she rubbed his cocoa butter down her legs while trying to keep her towel from falling down.

"No I wanna go but I need you to come to the BET awards with me as my plus one. I don't wanna be bored all night," Drake said as Demi's head perked up but she quickly shook it.

"I can't go."

"Why not?"

"...Drake...I'm not black," Demi reminded him and she thought that for once he was taking her seriously but instead he busted out laughing, tears springing from his eyes as he continued to laugh as if she had just told the joke of the century. She rolled her eyes as she finished lotioning her legs before walking into his closet and grabbing some of the clothes that she had left there before they had broken up. She slipped into a pair of shorts with a tank top and her favorite cardigan before exiting the closet to brush her hair. Drake was still laughing.