XV

She spent an entire day sleeping, just so that she wouldn't have to face the reality of things. Like the fact that her dad was on his death bed and no one had bothered to tell her. Or the fact that Drake was in love with her and every part of her wanted to be with him but she couldn't bring herself to explain why the abortion was necessary. And let's not forget her album that was coming out soon and she didn't even feel like it represented who she really was.

But the truth of the matter was that reality was knocking at her door and she couldn't ignore it any longer. So she showered until all of her hot water ran out before dressing herself in a pair of athletic leggings, a Minnie mouse sweatshirt that Drake had bought for her, and her favorite pair of Uggs. As soon as she walked outside she regretted her outfit choice but she knew that if she went back inside to change, she would stay holed up in there for another day.

She took the familiar route to her parents' house, humming to herself on the way there because she didn't want to hear whatever was on the radio. There weren't any cars in their driveway, which was weird because where did they have to go? But she figured that they just put them in the garage for once so she got out of her car and jogged up to the front door. She rang the doorbell fifty times and then resorted to knocking on the door for a few minutes but there was still no reply. Maybe they did actually go somewhere and not sit on their lazy asses all day for once.

"Sweetheart, they're not there!" Their neighbor from across the street exclaimed after coming back from walking her ugly little dog that had almost bitten Demi in the leg when she was younger.

"A few days ago there were ambulances and police officers here. It was a complete mess. I called the cops because of the yelling but the ambulance showed up right after that. They haven't been back since," she explained as Demi furrowed her eyebrows because none of it made sense.

"I would check the nearest hospital. You have a nice day sweet pea." And then she walked into her house. Demi pulled out her phone as she walked back to her car to see if she had any missed calls or texts but there was none. If they were at the hospital, why didn't anyone tell her?

Demi had this terrible thing, this terrible habit, where she immediately thought of the worst that could happen in any given situation. It was almost like a coping mechanism because it was like she was prepping herself for the worst to happen. What if there was something wrong with Lola? She had severe peanut allergies and her parents and Dallas really didn't have the best memories. What if Lola got hurt? What if there was something wrong with Maddie or Dallas? What if Eddie's high blood pressure finally took him out? How could they not tell her that they were at the hospital?

Barely locking her doors, Demi sprinted into the hospital and immediately ran up to the receptionist's desk. The blonde woman sitting there popped her gum as she stared Demi down, waiting for her to catch her breath and say something.

"Is there a Lola Lovato in here? Maybe in the pediatric ward?" Demi questioned as she slowly searched Lola's name before shaking her head.

"Okay then what about a Maddie de la Garza?" the woman shook her head again as Demi released a breath of relief.

"Dallas Lovato?"

"There is a Dallas Lovato in the ICU. She was moved there last night from the emergency room," she replied as Demi combed her fingers through her hair. Why the hell was Dallas in the ICU?

"Are you allowed to tell me what she was in there for...like what happened? I'm her sister, Demi Lovato." Demi shifted through her purse for her wallet so she could show her some ID but the lady shook her head.

"Oh no, I know who you are. My daughter is a huge fan. She totally ships you and that R&B singer together. I can't tell you what happened to your sister but the doctors are doing their rounds and her family hasn't come down yet so you should be able to find out," the nurse explained as Demi pursed her lips but nodded anyways. She would offer to sign something for her daughter but she was too anxious to know what had happened to Dallas so she thanked her before jogging towards the elevators. She jammed the button a million times until it finally opened and she pressed the button for the third floor. As soon as the doors opened, she saw Maddie and Lola sitting in the two chairs outside of the room and as soon as Lola saw her, she jumped into her arms and began to cry into her neck.