Myth

The hallways of Rochester High School buzzed with whispered secrets, and Nancy was no stranger to the clandestine currents that flowed through its lockers and classrooms. But today, the rumors were different—tinged with awe, fear, and a hint of reverence.

"You heard about that new vigilante?" Lena, the bespectacled girl from Chemistry class, leaned in as if sharing forbidden knowledge. "They call her Celerity."

Nancy's heart skipped a beat. She had become Celerity—the name she'd chosen in the dark of night, when her suit clung to her skin and the city's pulse echoed in her ears. But how had her secret escaped the shadows?

"Celerity?" Nancy feigned ignorance, her voice casual. "What's she like?"

"She's fast," Lena said, her eyes wide. "Faster than anyone. They say she moves like a blur, stops crimes before they even happen."

"And the mask?" Nancy pressed, her curiosity genuine. She needed to know how much they knew.

"Dark red," Lena whispered. "Just around her eyes. Like she's got fire burning inside her."

Nancy's pulse quickened. Her secret identity was intact, but the thrill of being both Nancy and Celerity was intoxicating. She wondered how long she could keep the balance, how long she could dance on the precipice between two worlds.

"Do you think she's real?" Nancy asked, her gaze drifting to the window. The city sprawled beyond, its streets waiting for her. "Or just a myth?"

"I think she's real," Lena insisted. *"My cousin saw her last night—stopped a mugging right in front of him. Said she moved so fast, it was like magic."

"Magic," Nancy echoed, her mind racing. She had no spells, no incantations—just raw power and a sense of duty. But magic sounded better, more mysterious.

The bell rang, pulling them back into the mundane rhythm of school life. Nancy followed Lena to their next class, her thoughts elsewhere. She wondered if anyone suspected her, if they looked at her differently now. But she couldn't afford to be distracted. Celerity had work to do, and the night awaited her.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, Nancy slipped out of the school's side entrance. The city's heartbeat pulsed in her ears, and she sprinted toward the nearest rooftop. The rumors fueled her—the fear, the awe—they were her allies now.

"Celerity," she whispered to the wind, her boots skimming the edge of the abyss. "Thought it would sound worse."

And with that, she vanished into the night, leaping across rooftops and speeding through the city becoming the legend that echoed through the city—a girl who moved faster than anyone, a girl who danced with danger, a girl who lived two lives in one city.