Chapter 30

Y/n POV:
"That's quite the mouth you got there. How about I silence it forever?" Fukuchi asks, pointing his sword straight at me.

"I'd like to see you try," I retort.

He doesn't respond to me, much to my surprise.

"It was Akutagawa-kun, right?" he says, turning to face Akutagawa. "Why don't you become my apprentice?"

"What?" Akutagawa questions.

"I'm more powerful and more experienced than anyone. More than anything, I'l soak my hands in blood to achieve my goals. Like you. Is that not more appealing than the death you're suffering now?" Fukuchi says to Akutagawa.

"That's the most foolish proposition in the world. No one could replace Dazai-san!" Akutagawa answers.

"I never said to turn on him. My occupation has made me quite adept at training Gifted. Once you've become the strongest Gifted among even the Hunting Dogs, I'll return you to your master."

'That doesn't sound right.'

"There's no guarantee that you'll keep your promise!" Akutagawa shouts.

"I'll uphold my promise. Besides, I have a reason to negotiate with you. I'd like you to do something for me. Kill the tiger boy, then I'll deal with the little hood," Fukuchi says, causing both Atsushi and Akutagawa to tense up. "I've had enough of dispatching children for my objectives. You were never motivated by the just act of stopping a terrorist in the first place. In other words, you have no motivation to kill me. So shouldn't you make survival your priority for now?"

Akutagawa doesn't answer him. He just stands there after being lifted up by Fukuchi.

"What's wrong? Don't you want to kill him? Is his life that important to you? Or, is it because you're worried about the little hood?" Fukuchi asks.

"Get up, weretiger," Akutagawa says.

"Good," Fukuchi says.

"No! Do you really think he'll keep his promise?" Atsushi asks as he stands up.

I later follow suit and stand up as well, holding a hand to my stomach.

"I promised I would kill you in six months' time. That time's simply come a little sooner. I'll defeat you. That's my purpose in life," Akutagawa says.

"Why are you so obsessed with your purpose in life?!" Atsushi shouts.

"I haven't told anyone this... But I have a lung illness. My time is short. Therefore, I cannot allow myself to disappoint Dazai-san in the time I have left," Akutagawa answers.

"I see," Atsushi says, understanding what Akutagawa was really saying.

"I'm sorry," Akutagawa says softly.

As soon as Atsushi activates his ability, I encase his body with my electricity, like we had planned. Unlike what Akutagawa said earlier, I won't be completely exposed and powerless like him after combining our abilities with Atsushi. Yes, I'm giving my entire power to Atsushi but if I stop or lose focus, it'll return to me instantly. So in the case that I need to protect myself, I'll be able to, unlike Akutagawa.

The two of them rush towards one another, seeming to be going in for the kill. Unbeknownst to Fukuchi, Akutagawa won't betray us.

Atsushi POV:
'Akutagawa said he can't allow himself to disappoint Dazai-san. Then, if Akutagawa meets Dazai-san after I die... If Dazai-san learns that he betrayed me in order to survive... How would Dazai-san react?'

Instead of clashing together, Akutagawa and I pass right by each other, with Akutagawa transferring his coat to me, completing the Lightning Claw.

"What?!" Fukuchi shouts, turning around to face the scene in front of him.