Chapter 21 - Kester

**Kayla's POV**
I woke up on the sofa surrounded by pillows and blankets but no Ed. I sat up quietly. He was in the kitchen, on the phone to someone I think. He was speaking quietly though I couldn't make out what he was saying. He stopped taking and came back through and sat down next to me. "Who was that?" I asked quietly, pulling at my shirt sleeves. He took a deep breath, "a councillor Kayla, for you" I looked at him. He was joking right? I didn't need a councillor! "Ed I'm perfectly fine I don't need a councillor!" He looked me dead in the eye, "really? Say that to the cuts on your arms. Say that to your sleep deprived eyes" I looked at the floor. He hugged me and whispered sorry. I didn't mean to hurt him like this, he doesn't deserve the backlash from my problems yet he suffers too.

**One week later**

"Kayla?" I looked up from my hands. A bald man with big ears stuck his head around the waiting room door and gestured for me and Ed to follow him through. I stood up as Ed squeezed my hand in reassurance. I managed to hold back the tears as we followed the man through to a small room with a sofa and 3 chairs. He sat on the far chair so I sat opposite him, Ed settled between us. "Good afternoon Kayla, my names Kester. Now I know you didn't really want to see me today, or at all for that matter but I'm glad you turned up". I looked at the floor. I longed to be anywhere but here. Ed grabbed my hand. "So Kayla, what's going on?" Kester asked. "Nothing I'm perfectly fine!" I spat harshly. I didn't need anyone's help, especially not a complete strangers! What was Ed thinking bring me here? "Ed would you like to inform me?" he asked calmly. "She's had a lot of shit happen lately and in the past, she started self harming again and has been experiencing suicidal thoughts. She's not eating, she's not sleeping. I don't know how to help her". Kester jotted down a few things in his notebook then looked directly at me. "Now Kayla, for me to help you it is vital for you to trust me and open up to me" Kester said calmly. I couldn't believe this. I stood up and grabbed my bad, "how do you expect me to trust anyone when even the ones I loved turned on me. Fuck you!" I stormed out of the room and out of the building. Ed knew I was safe so he didn't follow. He knew exactly where I'd go. This is why I loved him, he knew me. He knew when I was in danger or when I did simply want some space.

**Ed's POV**
She was going to the tree, she always went there to cool off. I knew she'd be safe. "Ed, as long as your confident that she's safe there, can you divulge in to her past for me so I can understand a little more please" I nodded and began the awful story of my princesses pain.
"It started from the day she was born, prematurely. She almost didn't make it. She refers back to this a lot saying she was never supposed to be alive in the first place. Then as soon as she was strong enough to go home they abandoned her. She wasn't wanted by her birth parents, they put her up for adoption. She was adopted by a lovely family. She was really happy, doing well. Then they ended up in a big car crash after a night out. They were both pronounced dead at the scene. She went back in to care again and was in and out of foster care. But no one could take her, she was grieving to the point where she wouldn't eat. They nearly lost her, she went back in to hospital and was force fed through tubes. This occurred multiple times as her refusing to eat developed in to bulimia. She would go to the hospital, be force fed then throw it all back up when she was released. She nearly died again. This went on until the age of thirteen where the self harm began because she was taken in by another family who were lovely at first... But then they started to abuse her. She ran away from that home until the police found her, charged the couple on domestic abuse and she was back in to care. Then finally they found a good family for her. At the age of fifteen she was taken in by the Smiths. They were a couple in their mid thirties with a sixteen year old son, Matthew. He took her under his wing as his little sister and helped her a lot. And she grew very close to his best friend too, Daniel... When she reached 18 and she had to leave the Smiths, she moved in to Daniel's own house. He treated her well for a while. And then stopped treating her well. He would hit her, he would show up at the coffee shop she worked at and threaten her. Then he started raping her. This went on for 2 years. Until she met me. I met her in the coffee shop where I noticed her cuts and became friends and obviously more with her. I got her out of there, Daniel was arrested. But it didn't last long because he had connections within the prison who shortened his sentence increasingly. A couple of months ago, when I went on tour for 2 weeks, he got her. Him and a gang of his friends got her. They raped her repeatedly. One of them wasn't in with it though, when it came to his turn as Daniel would say, he snook her out and drove her to the hospital. But they crashed, Kayla fought and survivived. Jack died on impact. She still won't forgive herself for it. Daniels currently arrested on a 10 year sentence. And now she's here, barely eating or sleeping and she's self harming again" I held back the tears as my voice broke on the last sentence. "Thank you Ed, I understand that was hard for you to say on behalf of her. If you can try and get her to keep attending the sessions until she trusts me enough to come alone it will be more successful. Try and get her to open up at home. If she says anything that you think might be useful in her recovery write it down. And you know I'm always a phone call away if you need me, if she gets too bad call me and I'll come straight over" I nodded and thanked Kester before heading out and driving to the tree, stopping at the coffee shop to pick her up a hot chocolate first.

So next chapter! Sorry it's been a little while I had writers block. So I wanted to give you all a bigger insight into Kayla's life before Ed. I don't know wether I made it clear or not but the reason Kayla doesn't have any friends was because of her being in and out of foster care she never settled and because of Daniel being controlling. Just wanted to clear that up before it turned into one of those stories where she's isolated from her friends. Cool? Also did anyone get the My Mad Fat Diary reference??
-kim