Running In Circles

Jay's POV

I felt a drop in mood and my chest tighten when I heard her still behind me while I washed our dishes. For several seconds there was silence before her chair scooted and she stood up, walking out of the room without a word.

Why?

Andrew's voice was cold and he cut his emotions off from me so I couldn't tell exactly how he was feeling.

We can't afford any mistakes... She is still dangerous. You saw her just as I did in that clearing. She slaughtered those wolves, all of them, within seconds. We don't know what they are...

I guess he didn't like my reasoning because not a second sooner, he was tucked away and I could neither feel nor hear anything from him. It's just one thing after another apparently.

Andrews, I'm sorry. I don't like it either.

There was no response though. Sighing, I finish up the dishes and move to the door grabbing my keys. I turned, not expecting to see her sitting on the couch with her hands folded in her lap. She wore my shirt and the clothes set for her and I couldn't help the bells going off in my head. She looked gorgeous, maybe a little too gorgeous. It looks like she brushed through her hair too. Maybe I should have her change...

She didn't once look up at me though. Instead just staring at the wall with a blank face.

"You ready?" I hum. I need to keep her at a distance until we figure out what exactly they are. She turned and looked but not at me. She looked at the door and smiled before nodding. Why won't she look at me? Why is it bothering me so bad? She stood and walked to the door, opening it, and stepping out without even waiting for me. Is she mad?

I wouldn't blame her if she was. You went cold on her, dumbass.

I scowled slightly but I knew it to be true. Whatever, we can solve this later. Right now I need to keep my pack and family safe.

Upon arriving at the meeting room, I held the door open for her and watched her walk past me, still not sparing a glance. I ground my jaw, turning and taking a deep breath before pulling out a chair beside my own at the table. To my surprise though, she looked at Gifford and smiled. Not a kind smile. This smile was one of 'you better get out of that seat before I beat you'. I shivered at the thought and shook my head. Gifford didn't move and just glared back at her, crossing his arms in defiance.

"There's a seat open by Jay." Lomen muttered, glancing between Gifford, Tori, and I awkwardly. She looked at him, face blank before looking back to the chair beside me and nodding.

"Can Destinee sit beside me?" She asked, looking at Destinee with curiosity. I nodded, looking at Destinee who stood and began to follow her until my beautiful and apparently stubborn mate sat beside me, still not giving me a peep of those enchanting black eyes.

Once everyone seemed comfortable, I nodded and pulled out a folder I had in one of the drawers.

"There is a lot to discuss... We need to figure out what the fuck happened in that clearing, inside the van, and what exactly y'all are. But before we do that, I have Lex and the past Luna coming in for an evaluation of each of you, including Lomen."

"Are we not going to discuss what to do to stop him from coming for us?" Her voice was way softer than before and when I looked, her emotions were no longer blank. She looked nervous and frightened. I really didn't want to discuss it with all the girls in here.

"It wouldn't be a bad idea. We need to kill him before he kills you." This was Gifford who was staring at me with a look of urgency.

"He ran like a coward during our last fight, he isn't going to kill me or even get close to it." I'm not a small guy either standing at 6'2 so why are they all looking at me like I'm made of glass? I've beat all of their asses countless times.

"What if you're caught off guard and instead of it just being you, it was your whole family?" This was Lomen who stared at the table with that far off look. He isn't threatening me but I don't understand why he's bringing my family into it.

"They know how to defend themselves. They went through the same training as all of us did, plus extra incase something happened to me." They should already know this.

"Not that family..." Destinee spoke this time. She seemed to have the calmest presence right now and it's really weirding me out. Not even an hour ago she looked physically sick and like she just wanted to murder the whole world. 

"What other family?" I grumbled, growing impatient and angry with all this cryptic bullshit. Why do they all seem to be on the same page and I don't seem to have a clue of anything?

"For starters, your mate." Harper joined, looking at Tori with worried eyes before they glided to me. We already know they are all in trouble.

"And that's what we're working to solve." I answered, looking at her with confusion. It's like we're running in circles at this point.

"No, Jay... Our little girl and baby." This was my mate who could barely bring her voice above a whisper and looked to be choking on her own words. Her eyes held stories of pain and trauma but somehow I don't think this pain came from the facility. Also what kids!? We haven't even marked each other yet!