The Event....

Tori's pov:

Most people wouldn't survive what we do. They don't know half of what happens and something tells me they never will. It isn't a striking difference in society, it's a totally different universe from regular society. All women are to be in the programs while the men make up the pack. Women are to serve and produce heirs. Men are to protect and provide. That's the way it's always been... I never really liked the ideology behind that though. 

"Let's try this again. How many babies have you had since arriving?"

"I told you... I've had nine." I muttered, hearing nothing but my own shagging breaths and the ringing in my ears. A quiet but high pitch ringing like a dog whistle began to go off once more and my body to tensed for what was to come.

"That is incorrect. You have birthed none." The doctor said once more. This time, he flipped the dial up by five more waltz resulting in my body to go rigid before seizing once more. I believe it's safe to assume the high-pitched agonized scream was my own. A burning fire made its way through my body before it became numb once more and all lights fell out.

I sat alone on a floor of darkness with shadows surrounding me. My wolf lay locked and chained against the ground in the far corner. I think they found a way to keep us separated based of the iron walls that set between us. It was cold... I didn't like it here. My wolf didn't either... I could see her beautiful shiny brown and black hair, almost a brindle mixture, shiver along her body from the cold. I do get to see my babies though. They all lay in little cribs, no sound leaving them but the tussle of blankets from their movements. I walked forth to the last one, mourning yet another beautiful baby I'll never get to truly meet. I lost her two weeks ago during correction time.

All the babies look identical to me due to the doctors using my own marrow and chemicals to make their formula for the experiment; that women can get pregnant on their own and produce more advanced children. I don't know when they began or when they plan to end it, but something tells me I'm not leaving here any time soon. The doctors try to protect us from our deaths, every day that goes by. They say that over time the women catch a disease called twenty that kills them. Those girls are never seen again. There are quite a few loonies from the outside who do nothing but scream and rant about how messed up this place supposedly is while fighting the doctors. I don't believe it though. It's the way of life, they said so. I've been here since I can remember, and they've never once been or acted like those loony outsider girls say.

My babies have a full head of dark brown to black hair, brindle like my wolf, with black eyes and red skin. I gently grab the smallest, the newest... and hold her quietly in my arms. I didn't cry. I didn't feel the need...I'll bring one along someday but, in the meanwhile, this'll do. Holding them in peace. I soaked up all the time I had left with her but it wasn't much time. Within minutes, bright lights shone in my eyes from what I can only assume were the doctors, Mrs. Gio and Mr. Noah.

"Welcome back, 18." Mrs. Gio whispered, moving the iv that was in my arm, so it wrapped around the shackles that kept me held down to the chair. "We're giving you much needed nutrients so you can heal faster. We need you to be healthy and looking happy for the event!"

As soon as she talked of the event, my emotions flared. Excitement but also terror swam around my head like a cat and mouse chase though I didn't show it. We get to interact with other werewolves and serve them any way they need. It's strange because all the women with the disease seem to have the moon Goddess on their side and are 90% more likely to produce one more baby from whichever male picked them. The deal is if it's a male, it goes with the man and mother. If it's a female, it stays with the program. The mother, however, is all set to leave and live happily ever after. If you aren't chosen, then you spend an extra year with the facility and slowly but surely die of the disease.

I hope I never get the disease...

"We've decided not to have your conceiving appointment until after the event, if you're still here! All of those who carry child will stay and those who don't will go to be chosen!" Mrs. Gio whispered with a big smile as a slight sting to my arm registered. "How many babies have you had since arriving?" That was Mr. Noah's voice. Darkness slowly began to take over and with the little consciousness I had left, I whispered, "the nine..." before yet again, another fiery sensation worked through my body and the lights were out once more.

Jay's pov:

"Listen, I'm just saying you and Erin make a great bromance." Lomen Balli, the packs Beta and one of the few I trust, teased. I shook my head with amusement before looking up with a hint of hurt.

"But I thought we made a good couple. You are leaving me?" I asked, flipping through the new investigation of Fertile Moon Pack.

"Jay, you know you'll find her one day. We both will." This topic in specific always brought my mood down, so I didn't answer and instead looked at the triangle around the pack, where several girls were reported to have gone missing. Lomen didn't try again, understanding my silence and the subject of mates.

"Do we have any other solid proof that the girls are there?" I question, rubbing my face from the stress of the situation. We have an annual fighting week coming up where the packs all meet and duke out some new moves. After receiving this information from a neighboring Allie, the Shadow Dwellers, we're debating on our next move. If we don't show, it'll affect the reputation of my pack. If we do show and one of our women or girls are taken, there will be serious consequences for whomever thought that would be smart idea.

"Nothing yet. They do have a beauty pageant going on though... At least that's what Erin said. He hasn't reached out at all this past week; I'm starting to worry." Lomen grumbled, running his hand through his hair.

"Giffords a big boy. He can handle himself." Praying to the Goddess herself that those words are true because he's right. We haven't heard from him in over a week and time is ticking.

"So, what did he say about this pageant?" I asked, distaste and confusion wracking my brain. Any advice, Andrews?

Yeah, find our mate.

Not helpful.

I sigh and clench my jaw, wanting to just go home and watch tik Tok or Mark on the tv. Or maybe even go for a run so Andrews will stop being a self-centered prick.

Ouch.

Well, you are.

"He said that it goes on every day during the training sessions and that you need an invite to get in." Lomen read from his nearly broken phone.

"You need to get a new one. What'd you do this time?" I hummed, studying the faces of women, girls, and babies who have gone missing over the past twenty years.

Names. Remember the names.

With that, I reached in my desk and grabbed a sharpie, writing down all the names on a sticky note before folding it and placing it in my pocket.

"Well Nate and I got in a little tousle over a disagreement." He hummed, texting back whomever was on the other side of the phone. "You win?" I assumed because he was the beta he would but when he looked up with that shit eating grin, I knew he had not.

With a sigh, I look back to the files and one name in specific caught my eye. The last name Thomason... Standing up and walking to a shelf across the room, I flipped through some dusty books of the pack members and years. I picked the book that had my mother and father in it, the name Thomason sitting on my tongue. Flipping through the pages, I found a picture of my mother, the late Luna, Tawni Nichole, her ex-Kalvin Andrews, my father, Gary Shepards, and finally two other figures, I haven't seen before. Their names were written at the bottom... Erie Jordan, Sean Thomason. Erie was pregnant at the time, the year marking nineteen years ago.

Guess I should probably call mom tonight. It's too weird that I know nothing of an Erie or Sean.

"Alright, call the elders, the late Alpha and Luna to a meeting. We have some things to discuss." I ordered, setting up a board with three different colored strings, pictures, and thumb tacks. We have until tomorrow morning to figure this out before it's time to leave.