136

It was shocking for everyone when the school results came out and Batuk scored more than Bondita. It was more shocking when he declared he wanted to open a school. A safe place for just girls and boys equally. Of course he would go to college to learn how to be a teacher and how to run a school. Batuk had been in shock at how Bondita was treated by a teacher for being a girl. He didn't want any other girl to suffer like that, ever.

Aniruddh was more than happy at this decision. For the first time Batuk could see how very, very proud his Dada was.

Both Batuk and Bondita had taken their places in colleges taking away the life of the haveli. They did visit from time to time but it was not enough. Aniruddh had made Bondita take a hostel room in the college premises, specially made according to the needs of girls, but she was the only one there with a warden till her second year when two other girls joined. It was crucial for her to be away from her Pati Babu, she knew now. They had to wait.

And the wait was now over.

She could not believe she was sitting here. On his bed. In his room. Koyeli had shifted all her things from her old room to this one. Sampoorna Didi had dressed her up. She didn't know what to do now. The door opened and there stood her Pati Babu.

After all these years, he still was in awe of her. So many nights they had taken refuge in each other's arms and she had still been young back then. Now...

She stood there, nervous. Didn't know where to look. He could tell her heart was beating faster. They had not talked much about what would happen when she finished her studies after that night in the study. He knew the more they talked about this, the more it would be difficult to stay away. Only he knew what it felt like to have her college so near and make her stay in the hostel. He was more than thankful that she had understood him, yet again.

" I...hope...you are alright with me being here."

" This is your room now too. " She looked so pretty. But her sindoor was what was catching his eyes again and again. Now that she had everything that a girl had a right to, it was time for her happiness. The one no money could buy, no degree could give, no job offer.

Love.

A happy life.

" Bondita..."

" Ji..."

He didn't know what to say. She looked so different now. Yet the same. An inch or two of height. Hair, longer now. And waiver somehow. Smile more pleasant and eyes deeper. His Bondita was not a girl anymore. The thought scared him and yet somehow soothed his heart. He knew now he could give her every happiness without hurting her. He didn't know when he got that close to her but he was standing right in front of her. He had been thinking of things to say to her for so long but nothing felt sufficient right now.

" Which side of the bed do you prefer ?" She asked, breaking the silence.

" You choose."

" No. I know these things matter to you more."

" Any side would do as long as you are there right beside me when I wake up."

Bondita did receive a pep talk from her Didi just an hour ago but nothing came to her mind right now. Yes ! She turned to the side table and picked up the glasses Koyeli had kept there. It was milk. Sampoorna Didi had instructed her to give it to her Pati Babu.

" Here." She held up the glass to him, smiling. " Milk."

He eye eyebrows raised. " Milk ?"

" Yes." She smiled brighter to avoid the feeling she had. His reaction was making it difficult. Did she do something wrong ? " Sampoorna Didi asked me to give it to you."

" Aahh..." He nodded his head. " And you know the meaning of this ?"

" That warm milk helps some people sleep better at night."

Aniruddh chuckled , his eyes closed for a moment. She looked like a grown up, but was not. " No one wants us to sleep tonight." He managed to say it with a straight face."

" Oh..." Bondita realised what he meant. She was not a child anymore. But then, what was the milk for ? She kept it back down. " So... what... what will happen...if we are not going to... sleep ?" She was not even sure if she should ask this. But really, she didn't know what to do. She did remember him saying he would wait for her to come back. But was it really tonight that was going to be what he waited for ?

What she waited for ?

" We could go to sleep." He still had to bend down to talk to her making her feel like a little girl again. She liked it. " Or we could talk all night. We could also...take a step forward from where we last left." Bondita was holding her pallu like her life depended on it. " But nothing will happen that you don't agree to."

After all this time...it was still about what she wanted. She looked up. A faint smile on her face and tears of happiness, like she had never felt before. She knew their relationship was going to change for forever but he was still the same. Being a little girl, she had always shied away from saying what she felt or wanted. She wanted to be a woman for him. To not make him work for it anymore. " I agree..."

Aniruddh took in a shaky breath. He could not believe his heart could beat like this. " To... what...?"

" Pati Babu... I have trusted you my whole life. But somehow it seems this night is asking for much more..."

" Then you don't have to..."

" But I do. I trust you. So... easily. No matter how difficult it is for me to stand here in front of...I want to do it. Be here for you. I... can feel my hands shaking, my heart beating. It feels...I can't breath...and I still want to be here with you. And where ever this night leads, I want to end up with you..." She ended with a whisper.

It was after so long she felt his lips in her forehead. " Are you sure you know what this means...?"

" I do..." She was about to loose her heart once again just and sound of his voice. " And for what I don't... know...like always...you are here, to teach me..."

" Then..." He lightly pulled her to him. " I will show exactly how..." His fingers traced her bangles, " the bangles break and how the anklets come loose..."

With that he picked her up in his arms as she hid her face in his neck and lead her into a life where they were finally together.

After all these years and after every thing...

They were finally happy...

--------Finish--------