67

Aniruddh had been having a hard day as it is in the office and that sinking feeling in his chest was making him anxious. He had already taken three glasses of water but it was not improving.

Bondita slowly bent down to pick up those broken pieces praying all the way for her Pati Babu. No matter what her Pati Babu said about all this being just sayings but she believed in them. She considered them signs from Dugga maa. Though she never was overpowered by all these things, they were not mere superstitions for her. Not where her Pati Babu's health was involved. Infact she knowingly would do any stupid thing asked if her if it remotely suggested his wellbeing.

And this master broke them.

She stood up with a piercing gaze. All the previous reservations due to her being a student standing infront of her teacher gone. " I don't think not being able to answer a question garners such punishment." She had a stern tone as if chiding him which didn't sit well for the master.

" What did you just say ?" His eyes were bulging out.

" You heard me loud and clear. I have recieved my punishment to an unacceptable measure, unfair it was but I endured because you are a teacher. But a line has been crossed here."

" Oh yes. Yes. A line has been crossed. The day you stepped in to the school. Or should I say the day you stepped out the door of your haveli."

" I have the permission to attend this school by the British government, by the panchayat, by the board of the school and by the principal. You have a problem with me here, take the issue up with them. Don't make it personal, masterji."

The master needed a minute or two to recover from that. She was right. She had come here through all the correct means.

" You think you could manipulate a few officials..."

" Quite a lot actually."

" What ?"

" I convinced, or as you say, manipulated a lot of officials, people and dignitaries to be here and have tried to prove at every step that they were right to support me. A few sticks on my hand can't make me change my mind that I am right and have every right to be here. When you don't want to teach me equally as a boy, you can't punish me equal to a boy either. But if you want to, to do without crossing your limits."

This last line made veins pop on his forehead as the whole class fell into dead silence. Batuk stood behind her in case the master did something in anger because even he knew this was happening for the first time. Students had talked back to their teachers in the past but because they were rich brats in the wrong. Here his Boudi was in the right. And she had used some strong words which might land her in trouble with the school itself. But this master deserved it. He just hoped his Boudi won't be suspended from school for telling a teacher to be in his limits.

" Crossing limits ? Why ? Because your jewellery broke ? You come here to this school all decked up. This...this sindoor, the mangalsutra, the bindiya, shaka Pola, bangles, anklets. You bring your personal life to school to be displayed and you are teaching me limits."

Bondita could feel her nose flaring, ears burning. " So ?" She asked through gritted teeth.

" So ? How do you think you can concentrate on books when all you think about is looks ? Girls. Women, you all are filled with vanity. Nothing wrong with that. You are made for it. And you should do it. Inside your homes. Doll yourself up, make yourself pretty but inside your home. A broken shaka Pola has distributed your mind so much. How will you concentrate on books ?"

The bell rang telling them it was time for another teacher to come for another class but none of them moved.

" Masterji. You very well know I am the best student in the class. And I try the hardest. With all the things you mentioned so pathetically, I still manage to compete with all the boys here and that is all that should matter to you as a teacher. What I wear, where I wear is none of your concern. I have violated no dress code."