119

A few days had passed and the mood in the haveli needed an upliftment which was provided in the morning when a buggy stopped at the gates. A man with a huge smile, in simple yet formal dhoti kurta and shawl stood holding a letter in his hands. Bihari went to greet him and was told the man wanted to meet Barrister Babu.

Aniruddh sat in the drawing room with the man as Bondita eagerly stood beside him listening. There were not much men who looked this humble, not from a powerful or rich background, yet educated. This is what her Pati Babu ment by the confidence and respect education could give you.

" It is an honour to meet you Mr Aniruddh Roy Chowdhury." The man smiled and further introduced himself. " I have heard so much about you. Your work." Bondita's smile grew with every word of praise for her Pati Babu. " That is what made me so happy when I was given the task."

" Task ?" Aniruddh asked politely.

" To deliver this to you." The letter was handed to Aniruddh. " And officially invite you to a function we want to throw in your honour."

Bondita stood straight. A function in her Pati Babu's honour ? She wanted to squeal but contained herself as she saw her Pati Babu read the contents of the invitation with a pleasent, surprised smile.

" In...my honour ?" Aniruddh didn't know how to respond. A few different groups of social workers had come together to show him some appreciation. " But... I..."

Bondita frowned. What ' but ' ?

" Yes. You Aniruddh Babu." The man smiled. " The work you did for the education of young girls. We have been getting inspired by you since you got those girls out of heera Mandi and helped them get in a school. You fought so hard against that British..."

" It was not just me." Aniruddh remembered those times fondly.

" Like a true gentleman would say. " The man continued. " And we thought that was the best that could be done. We saw girls taking an interest in education. Yes, going to school is still far fetched but I saw girls trying to learn at homes. It is a start Aniruddh Babu. People, common people thinking about the possibility of letting their girls read. Then you brought the child marriage laws."

" You can't imagine the help I have received." Aniruddh didn't hesitate in looking towards the one girl who had made it possible. " I could not have done it without my wife." Bondita was not sure where to look except his eyes. " Quite literally. Not without her."

" Behind every successful man is the hand of a woman, the saying has never proved itself wrong." The man answered.

" Absolutely right." Aniruddh lightly chuckled.

" Aniruddh Babu. Please accept the invitation. Please grace us with your presence. "

" But...I..."

" There are so many young men waiting to meet you."

" Meet...me...?"

" Yes. We have been working to help the society come over these set backs for a long time. All of us, poor, dejected or refused at the gates of opportunities. Everyone of us had something going on in our lives and we decided to fight for it. You, Barrister Babu, are an exception. Living in this lavish haveli, you could have never noticed the plight of a common man but you did. You had no reason to but you did. And...you fought. Better than us who lived among such things. And won. We will be encouraging others too, young blood, new to this world, in this function for whatever contribution they made, big or small. And you being there is going to be the biggest encouragement the youth who wants to make a change can get. "

Bondita wanted to shout yes ! He would be there but looked at her Pati Babu in anticipation. There was nothing in this world she would want more than his success. People had always criticized him for his work, efforts. For the first time he would be honoured and she would see. Last time people had gathered for him to appreciate him, she had not been able to be there for him. She wanted this. To see him up there. So, so much.