70

Bondita ran to Batuk to tell him the news.

" They are going out ?"

" Yes Batuk."

" At this hour ?" Batuk looked out of the window. It was dark. Ofcourse. It was past ten in the night. Even half the lights of the haveli were off. " All of them ? But why ?"

" Why are you two still out of bed ?" It was Som.

" Dada...we .." Batuk started.

" Go to your rooms."

" But Dada..."

" What ?" Som snapped at Batuk.

" What is going on ?"

" What do you mean ?"

" Where are all three of them are going ?"

" Were you two... spying ?"

" No. No !" Both of them responded.

" Yes. We are going somewhere and you two and Sampoorna are going to stay back with Baba." There had to be an adult at the house and since Sampoorna needed extra care, Binoy decided to stay back.

" But...Som Dada..." Bondita asked " why...?"

" Baudi..." Som tried sounded strict.

" And Pati Babu..."

" Oh. Yes. He is going. Now go back to your room. Both of you." Somnath had accompanied his Kaka and Baba on such occasions before but it was first time for his Dada. He was too principled a man to go about doing something like this but... today he himself suggested it.

Bondita reached her bedroom door but could not go in. That is when she heard a motor car approaching. She went to the balcony to look and saw two sturdy men get out of the jeep and stand on their doors. Her heart sank. They looked so unpleasant standing there at such dark a night. Not a single light on the door other than the mashal outside their gate. She ran to her Pati Babu's room scared to find it empty. Where was he ?

Was he... going with those men ?

She ran again, this time to the main door of the haveli. She stood at the left side of the gate, the side where his study was. She looked inside , no one there too. There was movement outside. Kaka sasurji. He was talking to those men. Som Dada stood there too.

" Bondita..." She jumped out of her skin as she felt his breath on her right ear. She turned at her place unable to utter a word as she placed a hand on her chest telling Aniruddh she got spooked. He smiled mischievously.

" Pati Babu..." She was barely audible.

" Is someone...scared ?"

Scared ? Ofcourse she was scared ! But she just couldn't say it.

Aniruddh looked behind her to see Som get into one jeep as another came to join them. He noticed Bondita was about to turn when he stopped her placing a hand on her shoulder and gently pushing her to the wall left of the gate.

" What is going on Pati Babu ?" She was too concerned of even raising her voice for him to hear clearly.

" Nothing Bondita. I will be back soon." He looked down at her. He had little time. The men were still talking.

" Where...are you going...?" She was worried...for him. It made her look so innocent, delicate.

" I can't tell you Bondita..." He looked down smiling at her cute expressions. He knew she was in turmoil inside.

" W...why...?"

" Why are you worried ?" He asked matching her low voice, gazing intently at her. He had set out of his room determined, serious. But she was here making his smile.