48

Aniruddh had held Bondita's hand for hours even after he was sure she was asleep. Batuk had been looking for his Dada only to find him half drowsy beside Bondita trying to hold on to her. Batuk requested his Dada to go to his room and after much persuasion he did leave but only to go to his study. He had come from his office with only half of the work done. His assistant had dropped of some files, as Bihari informed him, he had to look at them. It was justice that rested on his work. He could not ignore that. Some poor soul's life, money, hope... But it was getting harder to balance himself right now. He didn't let his work suffer, he tried his best to be there for Bondita but in this all Aniruddh was finding it hard to balance himself. He held files in his hands but his mind was on what Thakuma accused him of.

She might have been rude but she had a point. He knew he could set everything good in the future, whatever it held. But he knew it, not his elders. Their fear was justified. Thakuma had pulled a dirty trick and he would never forgive her for that but whatever she said today, questions about the future, even if he ignored the part of baby and that night. She asked him valid questions, questions that would stand true even if nothing had happened that night.

His future with Bondita...

It was late. He needed sleep but couldn't. He juggled his night between files, occasionally resting his eyes and checking up on Bondita. It was near the crack of the dawn when sleep finally caught him.
How long was it ? Five minutes ? Ten ? An hour ? He was not sure when a muffled voice tried to disturb him. His tired sleepy brain tried to ignore it when a rattling of the glass doors made him jump out of his sleep.

" Chhote Malik...!!! Chhote Malik...!!!"

Koyeli...?

" What is happening in this haveli this early in the morning...??!"

It was his Kaka. Aniruddh got up to tie his satin gray robe over his white night clothes. The matter seemed urgent. He walked towards the door.

" Bade Malik...!!! Bahu...bahu ranji...! Chhhoti malikin ..!!!"

Aniruddh's hands were on the handle of the door. A dread creeped up on him as he heard Koyeli sob from the other side. He opened the door to see a crying Koyeli and frightened Kaka...

" Aniruddh... Bahu...!"

His words brought his mind to its full gear as he ran to her room with the other two trying to catch up.

He entered the room, pushing a door so hard it cracked a glass. The room was dark except the dim morning light of the dawn entering through the open windows. She lay there, at the other side of the bed from the door, hair spread across her pillow. He couldn't make out much but there was a dark spot on the bed below her.

He knew what it was...

" BONDITA...!!!"

He ran to her side to sit on her bed not trying to look where the spot was.
" Bondita...!!!"

" Pati Babu..." It was her Pati Babu. But she could not call him out. She didn't know what was happening. She extended one shivering hand to him to be grabbed by him instantly. " Pati Babu..." She managed finally. Too desperate.

" Bondita..." He held her hand to his cheek. " CALL A DOCTOR...!" He yelled to his Kaka.

" Yes...!! Yes..."

Bihari had reached the room too. He heard the order and saw his Malik was in no condition to follow it. One look inside the room and he understood the urgency. He went to ring the doctor himself.
Binoy and Sampoorna had reached the room too. The screams echoed through the silent corridors of haveli.