Chapter 2

"Come on, have another bite," I prodded. Irisha had already eaten one of the chicken bacon ranch wraps, and the crispy chicken craveable, but I was hoping she could eat one of the turkey melts too.

She groaned, leaning back against the headrest, and shaking her head. "No way. If I eat any more, then you'll have to pull over for me to puke in the snow." I didn't push too hard since she obviously knew her own body. "Besides, you only ate one wrap, shouldn't you have more?"

"Nah. We can save them in case we get hungry or have to stop for the night."

"You were serious about that?" she wondered wearily, looking out at the dark forests that lined the road we were driving down. I knew the road well, so I wasn't too worried. There wasn't any traffic, and the sturdy Jeep was designed for these conditions, so as long as I didn't do anything crazy then we'd be fine.

"Oh, yeah. I don't think we'll have to, but it's happened a couple times in the past. I have two jerry cans on the back of the Jeep with gas in them for an emergency like that, but in the worst case we could make a big pile in the back seat with all the clothes and the blanket on top of us and Necco too so we can share body heat. As long as we can keep our core temperatures up, we'll be okay."

She shivered over in her seat, though this time in fear rather than cold, which reminded me once more that she was naked over there under the blanket. "No offense, but I've had enough of the cold for a while."

I snorted and reached over to grip her hand again. She'd stopped crying once we'd passed through Exeter, but I could still tell she was a mess, even if she didn't want to discuss what happened yet. "Then you came to the wrong place."

"I didn't exactly come here on purpose. I really don't even know where we are."

I glanced over at her to see if she was serious, but she didn't look to be joking. "We're in the middle of nowhere, a little west of a town called 100 Mile House in British Columbia."

"Seriously? I'm in Canada?" Irisha cried out. "That asshole!"

How did she not know she was in Canada? "You're going to have to explain this one," I finally told her. "Who is the asshole and how did you not know you were in Canada?"

She was silent for a while, then started talking in a low voice. "I was born in Russia, but my mom and I left there when I was young. I think I was five or six. I remember a lot of fights with her and my dad, but he let us leave finally. My father isn't a very nice man, but I wasn't sure exactly what he does. But I remember that he always had a gun on him, and we always had money. My mom took us to Los Angeles, and I was raised there. Honestly, until this all happened, I'd forgotten all about Russia. Then my twin brother, Mili, showed up and took me. He'd been raised by my father, I barely remembered him from when we were kids, but he didn't have any feeling towards our mom, I guess. He didn't even care." She was sniffling a little at the end, and I squeezed her hand once more in support.

"Can we get you back to your mom?" I was almost afraid to ask, but I knew I had to.

"No," she shook her head slowly, and tears started coursing over her delicate cheeks. "She's dead. Mili shot her, right in front of me. Then he stuffed me in the trunk of his car, and we drove. Occasionally he'd stop and let me go to the bathroom or give me some water, but no food. He said dad promised me to one of his friends as a bride, and I needed to be taken home."

I grunted at that and squeezed her hand again. I really wanted to give her a hug, she surely deserved it, but I couldn't do that while I was driving. Luckily, I could fix that. I took my foot off the gas, and then slowly braked so we didn't spin out in the snow. As soon as we stopped, I leaned over the console and pulled Irisha into a hug. Her whole body shook as she continued crying, but I didn't care. She needed this release, and I wanted to be there for her before it drove her mad.