Chapter XXIII. Spying on Newt, part 1

A few days had passed since her last mission, and Roxanne had started to get used to the calm routine in the secret house.

Acolytes came and went, some returning wounded. Thankfully for her, her door was always open to treat them, and many had started to respect her presence more than they did in the beginning.

Some younger followers, who ended up searching and finding Gellert; were the most open about her participation, although they did not reside in the same house as the acolytes.

Abernathy had been spending most of the time with her when free, the two of them discussing different topics when they had the chance. Sometimes, the American wizard would talk of his missions or his connection to Gellert.

Unknown to him, Roxanne took notice of all the details to have a better picture and know what to tell Albus when she saw him again. A part of her felt bad for using Abernathy, but then she reminded herself of the innocent lives that were at stake if a Wizarding War was to take place.

The only one who did not openly approach her was Vinda. The French witch would just observe Roxanne from a distance, almost spying on her. Not once did she smile and barely returned Roxanne's greetings.

Roxanne had yet to understand what she was thinking about or what her problem was. She had her suspicions, but she did not have enough evidence to base those theories on something other than her own thoughts. It was in such moments that she wished she could read minds or hear thoughts like some gifted individuals.

Alas, she was not graced with such ability when she was born.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One eventful morning, Roxanne was summoned to the office by Gellert. Suspecting he had another mission for her, she tried to hide the small eagerness.

Being inside the house all those days did not truly help with her moods. Plus, she wished for more information in order to give to Albus. They had not talked ever since, and she was actually missing his presence.

Yet, she refused to risk meeting him just because she felt lonely. She wanted to show him that she could handle it just fine and also find useful information that he could use to counter Gellert and his plans.

Upon entering the office, she was surprised not to find the Dark Wizard there. Instead, a stranger seemed to be waiting; his back turned to her.

Roxanne could see that he was a man, rather tall and wore a dark hat; standing out against the rather fashionable French clothing many local wizards chose.

He seemed to have sensed her presence and most likely heard her steps as well, for he turned his body to acknowledge her.

Their eyes met, and both stood their ground, a small distance separating them. Cold eyes met amber, both narrowing in silent warning while assessing one another in their minds.

"You must be that woman that joined a while ago," the man said, his accent clearly American. "Don't look like a fighter much. Wonder what you can offer. "

Roxanne did not like his tone or his words. She did not take it lightly, but she did not let them affect her either. She stood her ground, her chin held high and her back straight.

"Considering you know me but I don't know you, proves how insignificant you must be to this cause," she said, venom dripping from her every word.

Many would not have her capable of such hostility, but many did not know of the pressure and weight she carried on her back. They did not know of the people she lost or of the horrific sights she saw during the war.