Chapter XIX. A Game of Chess

Gellert had been watching her intensely while she was focused on the chessboard. The morning sun hit the side of her face perfectly, making her amber eyes almost glow as they were in bright contrast against her pale skin and pitch-black hair.

He had missed the sight of her, now even more satisfied with how well she had matured and what kind of woman she had bloomed. Long gone was the childish innocence she once had as a tougher, more serious and smart woman had taken its place.

He studied her as she made each move carefully, choosing not to truly risk anything. It was something she always did when she played chess, especially against him.

She never truly managed to beat him but she would always come quite close. He watched her with an intense gaze, taking in every detail of her face but his eyes kept coming back at two specific spots.

The scar that was still visible on her cheek, an ever-lasting reminder of how Wizarding superiority was needed...and her lips. More than once he found himself staring at them, wondering if they still tasted the same after all those years.

Her next question about Credence caught him slightly off guard but he didn't mind it. It was a normal logical question one would ask and proved that Roxanne while obedient and loyal, still had her own voice that she didn't hide it.

"Let us make this more interesting," he said, once again smirking. "Win this game and I will answer your question"

She looked from the board at him, her eyes trying to read his intentions. "And if I lose?" She asked next.

"You will answer one of mine," he said rather casually, surprising her. He quickly took notice of that and after he voiced out his next move and took another pawn of her, he chose to ask. "Why are you surprised?"

She kept looking at him, having already noticed her latest loss. "It's just, you can simply ask me any question whenever you want"

"That I can, but I believe it is better if that question had been earned properly" he said and watched her focusing back at the board. "I am not going to treat you the same way I treat my acolytes, If this is why you wonder"

As if he had read her mind, he pointed out a huge question that she had ever since that dinner the night prior. Deciding to continue now with her risks, taking advantage of the more private and relaxed moment; she asked.

"Why me though? Why do you need me, Gellert?" She asked and before he could speak, she continued. "Don't say because of my potion or healing skills. We are both aware you can find more experienced wizards and witches than me"

Gellert smirked and waited for her to make her move before replying, taking a moment too long to enjoy her. There was this vulnerability right now as she looked at him for answers, for reassurance.

He held the power and she could only ask in order to gain. Despite the many years, there was still this light and innocence hidden in her amber eyes; her gaze was always intense and powerful.

"Let us just say, that you have a very important role to play" he finally answered, after making her wait for too long; taking joy in making her wait and having no power to force him and make him answer faster. "When the time comes, you will find out"

He also voiced out his next move and Roxanne found her General gone in front of her eyes, now lying in pieces at the side of the board.

His answer clearly didn't satisfy her and she almost pouted her lips, something she used to do a lot as a teenager. However, now she was a grown-up woman and she couldn't go around doing such things.

The rest of the game was mostly in silence, the only sound being the commands leaving their lips as pieces from both sides were destroyed.

Not long after, though, the final battle was about to take place. Roxanne had lost a significant amount of pieces but she still had her Bishop up and even the Queen.