Chapter XVI. Choosing a Side

The week she had been given came and passed faster than Roxanne truly wanted. She barely realised when the time for her to give Gellert her answer, arrived.

However, what he didn't know was the fact that she already had an answer long before he approached her.

For merely a month before he knocked at her door, someone else did.

It was a rainy usual day for Ireland and Roxanne had spent most of her day outside. With a simple raincoat, she enjoyed the walk and the chance to gather some rare plants.

Once she had been done, she opened the door to her little cottage and entered, her raincoat dripping to the wooden floor. Pushing her hood down, she realised she was not alone in the house.

Someone else had their back turned on her and was busy using magic to cook in her cauldron, a nice warm fire was already light and the food was about to get ready.

She was alarmed at first but quickly relaxed once the person turned to look at her, a smile forming on her lips. "Albus, you scared me for a second," she said as she proceeded to take off her raincoat and leave her basket on the table.

Albus smiled, seeing her smiling at him. "Only you would go out with this weather" he joked as he placed the lead on the cauldron and turned to look at her.

His words amused her. "Well, it is not my fault. It is a rare opportunity to gather some very rare herbs that your Potion master is often requesting" she said as she walked his way. "What brings you here? Usually, you send an owl my way first"

Albus sat on the couch and he motioned for her to do the same. His serious face did little to calm down the sudden worry growing within her heart.

"I have a favour, to ask of you, Roxie" he said, taking her hands into his and looking into her beautiful amber eyes.

"You start to scare me, Albus"

"I am sure you heard about what took place in America with Gellert," he said and she gave a deep nod with her head, having just recently read in the newspapers about his capture by the MACUSA and his planned trial.

Honestly, Roxanne was worried when she read it. A part of her did not want to see Gellert executed, for she was certain that's where it would end up with all the crimes he had committed.

Albus took a deep breath, for what he was about to ask next was not easy for him. "I am afraid that he won't be contained for long. Knowing him, he will be able to escape and we both know where he will come next"

Roxanne closed her eyes momentarily. "Here...he will come looking for me," she said as she opened them again, looking deep into his blue ones for some comfort.

He placed his hand on her cheek. "He will ask you to join him, for that I am certain. When he does, I want you to agree"

His words shocked her and she looked at him with the smallest look of betrayal. She didn't expect him of all people to tell her that and if it wasn't Albus in front of her; she would have slapped them.

"I presume you have a reason to ask me that?" She asked, after taking a moment to control herself and trust him.

Albus caressed her cheek with his thumb and then connected his forehead with hers. "We are both aware that we cannot move against him, me especially." He started, not even needing to mention the blood pact in possession of Grindelwald. "However, I need to know what he is up to. Maybe I can find a way to stop him and  I trust no one else for this job."

Roxanne took a deep breath, her shoulders and neck muscles stiff under the sudden pressure. She looked deep into his eyes.

"Let me guess, because of the vow? For I doubt he still harbours feelings for any of us, me especially" she argued.

"I don't know, Roxie. I truly do not know and I wish I did. I hate sending you out there but I know you are the only one that can do it". he said, not hiding how much he trusted her. "I don't know if any part of his old self is still there but if it is....you are the only one that can bring it up, maybe even influence him to a degree no one else will ever be able to"

It pained her to see him so conflicted, clearly not liking the idea but she understood. For what Gellert was after was dangerous. It could bring the death of hundreds and he could not be stopped, not directly.

She understood the risk it took but she agreed either way. A part of her did hope that the old Gellert was still in there, the more caring one. There was always the tiniest of light in his soul and she could see it.

She simply prayed that it was still there when they would meet again.

Roxanne had closed her eyes and was standing close to a nearby cliff, feeling the waves crashing beneath her and spraying their salty droplets up in the air.

A mild wind pushed her hair behind and she recalled that memory of her with Albus. After he asked her that favour, he stayed a few more days with her before returning to Hogwarts.

She took in the scent of the sea, her black coat swinging behind her and she had her hands in her pockets.

She finally sensed that she was no longer standing there alone. Someone else had appeared and she knew exactly whom, without even having to turn her head.

"I believe you have your answer ready, Roxanne" Gellert's voice reached her ears and she turned to find him there, in a suit and watching her not that far away.

She smiled at him and started to walk his way. "I have and I believe you already know my answer, Gellert." She said as she came to a halt in front of him, head lifted to lock eyes with him. "I will gladly join you as we had always planned to do"

His words pleased him greatly and she could see it. A part of her hated for lying at his face, especially when he caught a glimpse of a sparkle in his eyes, clearly wanting her to join him in his cause.

Yet, she reminded herself that she had to do it. For she could help to prevent future bloodshed and maybe even save him from being killed...from having anyone she loved about getting killed.

He took her hand into his and brought it to his lips, before placing a kiss. She almost shivered at the sensation and the look he gave her but she held herself.

"It will be a pleasure to have you, my dear," he said as he smiled and slowly lowered her hand. "Have you packed?"

She nodded. "Allow me to go inside and fetch my bag, and I will be ready to go"

He let go of her arm. "Of course, I will be waiting for you right here"

With a smile, she started walking towards her cottage. Enchantments would keep it protected from any passerby and Albus promised to also keep an eye on it for her.

It felt odd to leave it behind for the unknown since that little house had become her shelter and her place to get away from the world when she needed it.

She would miss it, knowing it would take her a long time before she could return to it. She did promise, however, to return to it once it was all over.

For now, she had to be patient and trust what the fates had for her in store. Her biggest adventure yet was about to begin and she wasn't sure how ready she truly was.