Chapter XII. The Aftermath

The death of Arianna hit everyone deeply, at least those that knew the girl. On the day of her funeral, the villagers came together to pay their respect but it was only three individuals that mostly felt the gap left behind by the girl's death.

Albus and Aberforth stood at the very front as her coffin was being lowered, a certain distance between them and a thick tension keeping them apart; something they tried to hide well from anyone else that sent pitiful glances their way or offered their condolences.

Roxanne,  with the help of Bathilda Bagshot, had arranged the funeral and she had lied to everyone; saying that Arianna was simply very sick and passed away in her sleep.

No one else but the four of them would very know the truth of her death, no one else...at least for some time.

Gellert had already left the village, most likely returning back to Germany; although no one was sure. Whether he would continue their original plan or not, was a mystery to our heroes and at that moment they did not truly care much about it.

After the funeral was done, the villagers started to walk away. Even the chatty Bathilda did not say anything to the boys and simply patted Roxanne's shoulder a few times in a comforting way since she knew she was always close to the Dumbledore family.

The young witch was always someone close to Arianna,  being from the few that had a soft spot for the girl and trying her best to act like the sister she never had.

Her death made her heart feel heavy, not only by the loss but also by the guilt. She had spent the last two nights staring at the wooden roof, replaying the duel in her mind.

Yet she could never truly make out whose spell hit Arianna or at least, who deflected the spell towards the younger girl. Not knowing drove her crazy and she could not help but even blame herself; thinking that maybe she did it.

She looked with empty eyes at the tombstone, dark circles visible from the lack of sleep and her amber eyes were duller than they used to be. The last two days she could no longer smile, no matter how hard she tried.

She did not eat and did not sleep either, her mind had ended up becoming her worst enemy. She even wore a big hat and wig to hide the fact that her abilities were constantly out of control; with her body being too tired to fight them or even try to control them.

She looked at Albus, who had also been hit by guilt. 

They hadn't talked since that night and he didn't seem like someone wishing to talk at that moment. He had started to question all his decisions of the past, all the times he was with Gellert. While his attack on Aberforth was because he hurt Roxanne, he could still not help but wonder.

He even felt guilty for not truly being there for Arianna, not being the brother she deserved to have after all the hardships she had been through. He didn't even have the strength to find Roxanne, blaming himself for not protecting her in the first place or doing something to stop that duel before things escalated.

He stood there like a statue when his brother approached him, filled with anger and grief. Before he knew it, Aberforth had punched him with enough force to actually break his brother's nose and yet Albus never made a move back. He felt as if he deserved far more but his brother was not willing to deliver.

That was the last time the two of them would see each other for quite a while. Because a few days later, Albus packed his things and left for France. He had been exchanging owls with famous researchers and one of them insisted he should come over to study and learn.

This left Aberforth, who did not choose to continue his studies; to stay behind and alone. The house that once held a family of five, was now the residency of one.

Roxanne, wishing to escape the dark memories and guilt; continued her studies. She focused so hard on her studies that she, somehow, succeeded in drawing the attention of a visiting Healer from St. Mungo; the biggest hospital for magical beings in England.

Since many 7th-year students practised there, she joined with the very first chance and it proved to be what she truly needed. She had failed to save Arianna so many times but she refused to keep failing. This was her chance to start saving lives for a change and she was not going to mess it up.

 With new motivation and plans, she spent the rest of her school year studying.

She managed to do exceptionally well in her N.E.W.T exams and her innate nature for potions was noticed by the committee of the hospital. By the time she graduated, a place for her to start training was waiting for her.

She returned to Godric's Hollow for one last summer, hoping to at least share the good news with someone but she was not that lucky anymore.

Albus had yet to return and they barely exchanged any owls all that year. Aberforth literally slammed the door in her face when she knocked and even old Bathilda had isolated herself in her research.

Only her father was ecstatic by the news since he was a Healer there before he got married. Yet, a few hours later he had not only forgotten the news but forgot his own daughter as well.

Taking it as a sign, Roxanne took it as a decision to herself. 

She left a letter for Aberforth and sent an owl to Albus, briefly thanking them for the childhood she had and talking little about Arrianna. She even wrote a letter for Gellert before giving it to Bathilda, in case he ever returned. 

The very same night after she had finished the letters, she took her father and left Godric's Hollow.

Under the last name of her mother, she admitted her father to St. Mungo's and started to practise there; eventually taking residency and starting a career. 

Little did she know, was the fact that her letter to Grindelwald would be delivered much faster than she anticipated. Less than a month after she left, Gellert Grindelwald returned for her as he had mentally promised.

With new leads about the Deathly Hallows, he came to take Roxanne and continue their original plans for the wizarding revolution. However, he only came to find an abandoned house and no trace of where she went.

Worse was the fact that he would soon be charged partially, for the murder of Arianna Dumbledore. That was the beginning of him finding himself on the other side of the law but it would not be the last time he would come for Roxanne.

For they were destined to meet again, many years later.