CHAPTER 17

Pandora

Jaden kept his word and didn't bother me for the rest of the day, and I found myself thinking several times about approaching him, hinting that I had changed my mind. Our eyes met more times than I can count.

Soon, the cake was finished. The house was appropriately arranged, and the blond had left to fetch his friend for the "surprise" party. My mother has organized such events every year, so much so that the term "surprise" had lost its meaning. It had become a normal thing, with a known and respected script by everyone, including Travis.

I was on the living room sofa, and Jaden was preparing to leave. When I heard the keys, I turned around. We made eye contact, and he just winked at me before leaving.

Of course, my face turned red.

When I could no longer see him, I slammed a decorative pillow onto my face. I bit my lip to keep from smiling. It was hard when all I wanted at the moment was to jump for joy.

Probably the worst decision I had made, accepting. One last game, one last lure. It took a moment until he had me completely where he wanted. Again.

Now, an hour has passed since the blond disappeared, and I continue to think about the same thing.

I know it's risky, but I can't help myself. Jaden is like the forbidden fruit, which you're not supposed to bite because you know it's poisonous. But all you want to do is take a small sip, which is enough to kill you.

"Pandora! Dress up nicely! Go get ready!" my mother's voice yells at me, and I get up sighing.

I literally run to my room. I open the wardrobe, staring inside. I grimace at the sight of all the boring clothes. I rummage through the bottom of the closet and almost start jumping for joy when I find a tulle blouse with a galaxy pattern. I remember the day I bought it, I was fourteen. It was the last model available, so I took it without hesitation.

Feeling artistic and creative, I pull a slightly more low-cut black tank top underneath than what I usually wear. But since it's Travis's birthday, I consider it okay.

I complete the outfit with a short black denim skirt and am very pleased with the result when I admire myself in the mirror.

I admit I want to impress my brother's best friend. The whole sentence sounds extremely weird, but it best characterizes the relationship between me and Jaden, after all.

I darken my eyes with makeup, even though I know my mom hates when I apply it like this. I clip the front part of my hair with a butterfly-shaped clamp. Before leaving, I spray a little perfume on myself.

I rush down the stairs, and my heart starts to beat faster when I notice that most of the guests have arrived. To be perfectly honest, the guests are friends or acquaintances from church of my mother's and some of our relatives. As usual, for our birthdays.

I guess that's also part of the tradition, since Travis and my dad were born on the same day, and for years we've celebrated together. Yes, life is strange sometimes. My dad died on my birthday and was born on Travis's. Actually, it's the other way around, but it doesn't matter. The point is, on both my and Travis's birthdays, we also commemorate my dad, so among my brother's friends, Jaden is the only one present.

My cheeks flush when I remember it's possible that some of these people might have seen me two months ago, in just a tiny bikini.

Looking down, I search for my mom. She is in the kitchen, alongside Edna. The air is filled with hustle, and both are moving chaotically.

My mother keeps taking plates out of the cupboard, and Aunt Edna places the cake I made on a platter. I offer to help, and within five minutes, someone from the living room yells: