CHAPTER 11

Pandora

I manage to avoid Jaden for the rest of the day with flying colors. When the final bell rings, I'm the first out of class. I practically run to my locker to grab my backpack, stuffing all my books inside. I throw the right strap over my shoulder and quickly start walking.

I weave through the crowd of students who are just now getting to their lockers. Exiting the schoolyard, I try to spot Jaden so I can avoid him in advance. I don't catch sight of him and seize the opportunity.

I hop on the bike I left here yesterday. I start pedaling swiftly, trying to escape the possibility of running into Jaden again. Enough for today. My poor nerves couldn't handle any more torture.

Halfway home, a green car zooms past me so closely that I lose my balance and fall to the other side.

I land in a bush, screaming as thorns prick my skin. Damn it!

Can't I ever have a moment of peace, can I?

I try to pull out the thorns when I manage to get out of the bush. I can add this to today's list of torture methods Jaden has put me through.

I pick up my bike and dust myself off before sitting back on the saddle. I resume my journey, this time with grass and leaves in my hair.

When I get home, I thank the heavens when I see my mom hasn't arrived yet. Travis is still sprawled on the couch, snoring. I walk past him and run up the stairs to my room.

I grab a brush and start pulling out leaves, twigs, and thorns that got stuck in my hair.

My phone vibrates on the desk. I squint at the Instagram notification.

Yourdreamguy has requested to follow you on Instagram.

I open the app, and curiosity leads me to check out the person's profile. I raise an eyebrow seeing no pictures, just a black profile picture. This is very suspicious. Curious to see who it is, I accept.

It doesn't take more than a minute before I receive a message.

Yourdreamguy: Hi! I saw your profile picture and thought you were very cute. Would you like to go out sometime?

The thought crosses my mind that I might be talking to a pedophile, but I figure I'll be able to tell from a few sentences.

Pandoraaa12: Well, send me a picture so I can give you some feedback.

I can't deny that I'm intrigued now. I want to put a face to the person I'm talking to. He immediately sends a picture that's not very clear, but I can make out his features. He's a guy with dark hair and brown eyes. Nothing special, but acceptable. So, I continue talking to him.

Pandoraaa12: Here's the thing, I don't go out with strangers, but if you want to talk more and get to know each other, then who knows.

Yourdreamguy: I like the idea. To start off, is your name Pandora?

Pandoraaa12: Yes. What's yours?

Yourdreamguy12: I'm Jason.

I nod, satisfied. Not a bad name. I get another message from him.

Yourdreamguy: Do you have a boyfriend?

I frown at my phone. What kind of question is that?

Pandoraaa12: Since I told you I'm willing to get to know you, obviously not.

It takes a while for him to reply.

Yourdreamguy: Huh, you could have one and still agree to cheat on him :)