CHAPTER 14

Pandora

Five days later, when I open the Instagram app, I find with a bitter taste in my mouth that Yourdreamguy still hasn't replied.

I'm even more certain that he is Jaden and he's not responding because he's sedated.

It was all a stupid lie.

I start my day on the wrong side of the bed.

I go through my entire routine and decide to wash my hair with a different shampoo than usual. I choose one with a lavender scent because I read that the smell of lavender is good against stress. And I've been pretty stressed lately.

I decide to put in more effort than usual when choosing my outfit, to somehow make up for the crappy mood I'm in. My eyes land on a red plaid skirt my mom bought me a year ago.

I pull it off the hanger, thoughtful. Why am I bothering? I wonder as I slip it on. Normally, I blend in, but apparently, my mind has other plans. It's not like I want to impress anyone; Jaden is still in the hospital.

My eyes widen at the last thought I have. I want to slap myself across the face.

Enough, Pandora!

I choose a tight, purple top, glad that it's already May and warm enough outside. Just one more month until the summer vacation, which I await with fierce desperation.

I apply a layer of mascara and pick up my backpack from the floor. Reaching the ground floor, I see Travis looking at me in a strange way.

I start my day on the wrong side of the bed.

" What do you want?" I say, trying not to snap at him when he continues to stare.

After a few seconds, he grabs my arm. I hiss, slapping his hand away, and then I shout at him:

"Let go! What do you want?"

" I'm driving you to school today; we have plans after. A certain patient, from a nearby emergency hospital, told me to let you know that from now on, every day after school, you'll be visiting him."

I don't bother playing dumb. I clench my teeth, shaking my head promptly. This is a crazy and completely stupid idea.

"Excuse me?"

" Do you want me to remind you that it's because of you Jaden had the accident?" he shouts at me.

The feeling of guilt reappears. I get irritated because I've been trying to push it aside and go on with my life in the last few days.

"That's not true!" I yell desperately, seeming more like I'm trying to convince myself.

" He told me everything, Pandora. Stop lying! You hit him! I don't think you can imagine what he's capable of when someone raises a hand to him! You were blindly lucky, but your luck's run out", he says in a final tone, and I let myself be dragged outside.

He opens the car door and a multitude of thoughts tumble in my head. Biting my lip, I look at Travis getting into the car.

He turns the key, and the vehicle immediately starts. He steps on the accelerator, and I look out the window.

Apparently, I haven't escaped Jaden. And I don't think I ever will.

The idea of visiting him every day from now on, for two weeks, literally terrifies and depresses me.

When we arrive at the school parking lot, the absence of Jaden's green car brings a wave of sadness over me. I get out and don't even bother saying anything more to my brother. I'm too absorbed by his words and what they mean for me.