27

Ester's smile drops and she slowly turns her head... She sees a look of shock, but also of immense sadness, in the younger girl's onyx orbs. Their eyes lock...

Ester's face flushes even more, this time from something other than anger. That melodic, beautiful voice that I hear in passing when she walks down the halls. The voice that caught my attention, and my heart.

She blinks a few times, but it's like she's in a trance. She can't seem to look away from the girl in front of her. The same girl that, when she uttered a greeting in broken English to the class at the beginning of the year, her voice was all I could hear before falling asleep. Dreaming every night since that day of just being close to her, seeing her doll-like face light up when she talked about something that she loved.

Miku pouts a little before speaking. "I had no idea that Karol even treated her friends like that. You should really stick up for yourself, you know." she smiles a little, a giggle escaping her mouth.

"If you need help dealing with her, don't hesitate to let me know. I'll gladly whoop her butt, with no remorse whatsoever." Miku continues to look into the chocolate brown eyes of the girl in front of her, seeing shock and sadness, but also sincerity and... something else that she can't quite figure out.

_______________

Why is she looking at me like she's starstruck? It only takes a few seconds for things to click in her mind as the pieces fall together.

That's why I see her glancing at me in class. Ester Wood, co-captain of the cheerleading squad, likes me.

Miku looks up at A.Z, her star, and it seems to shine brighter after those thoughts; a way of telling her that the girl in front of her right now, is who she's meant to be with. That Azalea, the girl that she thought was the one, was just helping guide her to her actual soulmate.

So, this is why you didn't tell me you loved me back. You knew, A.Z. You knew I would meet the one someday, and you knew that it wasn't you. She smiles a little, the emptiness that was once in her heart, filled once more with the confidence that she thought she had lost.

Thank you, Azalea. Thank you for leading me to her, thank you.

_______________

As her confidence starts to surge back to her, a smirk shows up on her face. 

"So, Essie. I can call you that, right?" she nods her head, her eyes still not leaving Miku's face as the dark-haired girl inches closer to the older.

The smirk turns into a grin, the younger's eyes becoming a bit darker, a mischievous glint appearing in them. "You like me, don't you?"

"I..." Ester stutters, cursing a bit under her breath before clearing her throat. "What makes you ask that?" Miku laughs a bit, leaning closer to her and causing her heart rate to skyrocket.

_______________

She closes her eyes and tries to steady her breathing. If she gets any closer, I might lose it. Another laugh, this one much closer, inches from her ear.

Good lord, that laughter is like music. Like a siren's song, drawing me deeper into an ocean that I wish to never come out of. Even if it kills me. Ester shivers a bit, causing Miku to let out a little giggle.

"I've seen the way you look at me, the way you try to avoid me in the halls when your 'friend' is around. Trying not to raise any suspicions as to how you truly feel inside." Miku lets out a breath that tickles Ester's skin, causing another small tremor to course through her body.

_______________

The younger gets even closer, her lips lightly brushing against the older girl's ear with every word. "She doesn't know, does she?" a shake of the head, a no.

"She doesn't know that you like me?" another head shake, another no. Miku smirks before leaning back, staring at the girl in front of her. Her cocoa skin is like porcelain, the only flaw being a scar across the left side of her face... wait, a scar?

Miku tilts her head and frowns, her eyebrows furrowing. I've never seen that before. Does she... cover it up? Why would she do that? It only makes her unique, different, and dare I say... beautiful.

Ester's eyes flutter open, and she's face to face with Miku. She sees the girl's frown, about to ask why it's there, when she notices her lift up her hand and go to touch her. She instinctively flinches away, putting her hands up to shield her face.