10

She fishes the piece of paper out of her pocket and unfolds it, staring at the name and numbers written there before typing them into her phone and sending a message.

'Hey, Damien. It's Genie. I hope you're doing okay. When did you want to start working on the project?'

Damien's ice blue eyes light up as he reads the text, thinking. When do I want to start working on the project? Hmm... His fingers start typing a message back. 

'Ello! I'm doing alright, and I hope you are as well. Is tomorrow okay to start it?' 

He presses send and slips the phone back into his jacket pocket. Picking up his textbooks and walking up to his bedroom, his eyes start to droop. Man, I'm tired. Been a long day today. He opens the door and places the books on his desk. I'm so glad today is Friday. A yawn escapes from his mouth as he plops down on the bed and takes off his jacket, letting it fall next to his bed. He stares up at the ceiling for a few minutes before rolling onto his side and closing his eyes; he falls into a deep sleep within seconds. 

_______________

As she walks up the stairs and down the hall to her room, she feels her phone buzzing in her pocket. He must have messaged back. That was fast! Was he waiting for my message or something? She laughs lightly as she opens the door to the bedroom. Fishing the phone out of her pocket as she sits on the edge of her bed, she types a message back. 

'I'm fine and yes. Tomorrow is alright with me. We can meet at the park in our neighborhood around ten. See you then!' 

A smile spreads across her face as she sets an alarm for nine and puts her phone on her nightstand. She lays back onto her mattress and yawns, closing her eyes. 

_______________

Her eyes fly open at the ringing sound of the alarm she set the night before. Genie rubs the sleep out of her eyes, getting up and stretching a bit. Before heading to the bathroom across the hall she grabs some clothes. She takes a quick 15-minute shower and dries off before getting dressed and blow drying her hair. After she's done, she takes a look at her phone to check the time. 

"9:30." She checks to see if she has any new messages. None. I should probably let him know that I'm heading there since he hasn't seen the last message.

'Good morning! I'm heading to the park now. I'll be sitting at the picnic table nearest to the entrance. See you there?'

 She slips her phone into her pocket. If he doesn't show up, that's fine. I'll bring my journal, so I have something to do just in case that happens. She grabs it and puts it into her bag. Closing the door and locking it behind her, she starts the short walk to the park with a small smile on her face.

_______________

The buzzing of his phone wakes him up. Damien rolls over and slowly blinks his eyes open, sitting up. He rummages in the pocket of the jacket he was wearing yesterday, finding his phone. Looking at the messages that were sent by Genie, his eyes widen. He checks the time and groans. Shoot, it's already 9:30. He stands up and walks over to the full-length mirror in his room, grimacing a little at himself. My hair never wants to cooperate when it's important. He sighs and decides to send Genie a message back.

'Good morning, Genie! I hope you slept well and so sorry for not responding to your message last night. I pretty much passed out right after I asked if today was alright. I'll be at the park in a bit. See you soon!' 

He takes a quick shower and dries off before grabbing a random t-shirt and a pair of sweats. Grabbing a hoodie as well, he quickly gets dressed. His phone gets shoved into his pocket after he checks the time again. 9:55. I'll be able to make it in time if I run there. That's good. He briskly walks down the stairs to the front door. He makes sure to lock it behind him as his lips slowly form into a smile.

_______________

Genie hears her phone vibrate. She takes it out of her pocket and smiles at the new text. He's so kind and sweet. She decides against sending him a message back. I'll just wait to talk to him until he gets here. She opens her journal and starts to write anything and everything that comes to her mind, becoming so focused that her surroundings seem to blur around her. The only focus being the small book in front of her and the pencil scrawling words across the pages.

_______________

It's only a few minutes jog to the park. When Damien gets closer to the entrance he slows to a walk and looks around. Once his eyes land on Genie, a wide grin appears on his face. She's so beautiful. He admires her face for a few seconds before walking up to the table and sitting down. 'Good morning, Genevieve!" Genie notices him and glances up from her writing. She gives him a small smile and closes the journal, putting it into her bag. 

"Morning!" Her smile widens a bit before dropping away. "I hope you slept well." Damien nods his head and flashes a grin. "That's good." She smiles back at him. "Do you want to start with choosing a song from the two Ms. Lee gave us? She gave us 'Thinking Out Loud' by Ed Sheeran and 'All of Me' by John Legend. I love both suggestions, do you have a preference, though?" Genie tilts her head at Damien and watches as his eyes light up at the last song name.