3

But he heard it. Loud and clear. He looks at her, tearing up a bit as well then looking away and taking another drink from the coffee cup. Who hurt you, Genie?

Even though I just met her, I feel this need to protect her. Is that weird? The last person I felt the need to protect, I couldn't; I won't make that mistake again. God, I miss them so much... Damien places his hand on his neck, checking his pulse; it's a habit of his that he's had ever since he was 13. When I found out it's a good way to check to see if IT will happen...

His eyes suddenly go wide as he gets up quickly, his breathing getting faster by the second. God, I feel like my heart is going so fast, that it's going to just give out any minute now. What the heck? Not here, not now!

_______________

Three heads immediately shift to Damien; Miku confused, Shinji curious, Jacob a bit spooked. Genie looks up a few seconds later, tilting her head for a bit until she notices the wide, restless eyes and heavy breathing. The tears in her eyes disappear, replaced with a look of worry. I know what's wrong, I've got to help. Will he let me? I just met him a few hours ago. He needs help though; I can't just leave someone like that. "Hey, guys? I'm gonna head out." she looks away from Damien and gets up to leave. Please let my plan work...

"Not without someone to walk you, it's dark out!" Jacob scolds; like a parent. "I would walk you home bestie, but I have to take the twins back to my place. Hey, Damien." Damien replies with a small yeah. "Can you walk Genie home?"

Genie looks at Jake and smiles. Yes, it worked. It doesn't seem like any of them know what's going on, so that's good. Her thoughts are stopped by a whispery and shaky voice.

"Sure, I-I can do that." he says quietly, looking at Genie and smiling. The smile falls quickly, and he looks away, his eyes still restless. His heart still beating a thousand miles a second. Jacob flashes him a smile and thanks him, going back to talking to Miku and Shinji. What the heck is wrong with me? My attacks have never been to this level before; is it because of all that grief that I didn't sort through and ended up putting on the back burner for the past year, is it all coming back? He's shaken out of his thoughts by a hand lightly grabbing onto his. He looks down at her hand, slightly taken aback. Holding her hand is somehow, soothing? But...why?

"Come on, Damien. Let's go before it gets even darker out." Genie takes his hand and practically drags him out of the cafe and stops at a bench nearby, but not in a place that's easily seen. She sits down and pulls him down next to her, letting go of his hand.

_______________

"Are you okay? I noticed you were really anxious earlier. If you need to talk, I'm here. If you just need a shoulder to cry on, I'm here." she looks at his face, studying it closely. He keeps his head down, staring at the ground with watery eyes. There's pain there, I can tell. "Even though we just met, I don't want to see you like this; please, let me help you." he snaps his head up and slowly turns it to her, tears in his eyes.

She's the only person other than THEM that's ever taken that much notice. He takes a shaky breath before whispering, "I- don't think- I'll be able to talk- about the- issues I have-" At least not right now. He takes another breath before speaking again. "The shoulder- to cry on would- be nice but- are you su-" his sentence is cut off by Genie wrapping her arms around his waist and pulling him closer, lightly squeezing him.

He freezes before slowly wrapping his own arms around her, resting his chin lightly on her shoulder and closing his eyes. He lets out a few shaky breaths, finally letting the tears he's been holding in for the past year flow like a river. I haven't had a proper hug in so long, I missed it...