13

His eyes flash with anger... "'I saw you with Genie... Back off, pretty boy. She's still mine.' What the fu-" His voice is cut off by a loud crashing... Oh, no. What if this person... broke into her house... As his heartbeat starts to quicken, he quickly...runs into the other room, seeing Genie...frozen in place.

Genie's eyes widen in shock as she stops in the middle of the kitchen, the glass in her hand falling on the floor. It shatters when it hits the tile, the shards twinkling in the light that shines from the windows. Her heart rate picks up. He's still following me around. Why? He broke up with me just to get with Karen.

She starts to tear up for the second time today. Why would he care about anything I do? How did he even get Damien's number? Her thoughts are stopped when she feels Damien's arms wrap around her and pull her into a tight hug, not even noticing or caring about the shards of glass at his feet.

_______________

"Are you okay? I heard a crash that sounded like a window breaking and I thought-" He shakes his head and lets her go, backing up a little. Thank God, you're alright. He looks at the floor, seeing the glass at their feet. Ah, that's what the sound was.

Squatting down, he picks up the bigger pieces of glass and throws them in the trash. He finds a broom and sweeps up the rest, heading back to stand in front of Genie as she shakes her head. He hears her mumbling the words 'He's still watching me' to herself. 

His eyes widen. Did she hear me read the text? Does she know who it is that messaged me? Damien lightly puts his hands on her shoulders, causing her to look up at him with her teary eyes. "Genie, did you hear what I said earlier?" She nods her head as tears start to stream down her face.

_______________

He lets his hands fall to his side and slowly reads off the number, seeing fear in Genie's eyes when he's done reciting it. I've never seen somebody look so terrified. What the H-E double hockey stick did this guy do to her?

"I'm guessing you know who it is that messaged me?" She nods her head another time and looks down at the floor, her teardrops falling onto the cold tile. 

Damien takes his hand and gently grabs Genie's chin, making her look him in the eyes. "Who is it?" he whispers. He stares down at her as she shakes her head, not answering. Come on, Genie. Now's not the time to be stubborn. He sighs, trying not to get too annoyed. "Who. Is. It. Genie?" he asks again, his voice husky.

_______________

Her eyes widen as she hears his voice deepen the second time he asks. Holy moly, he's mad or at the very least he's annoyed. She continues to stare into his eyes, the usual sparkle in them gone and replaced with just ice. Cold, hard ice. Yeah, he's angry. Very.

She tries to look away, but he tightens his grip on her chin, making her look at him again. "Please, Genie." his eyes soften a bit, and he asks her a third time. "Who is it?" 

Well, here goes. She lets out a shaky breath and whispers. "A guy from school that I dated last year. He cheated on me with someone else and he broke up with me when I found out what was going on. He's dating the girl he cheated on me with ever since then. He still seems to think that I have a 'thing' for him, apparently." Genie sighs and closes her eyes, waiting for Damien's reply. Please, say something.

_______________

His heart starts to ache at the last statement. Does she still like this guy? He starts to think. Hmm, screw it. I'm going to ask. I may regret it; I may just be imagining that she likes me back. If she doesn't, that's okay. I can be her friend, even if it hurts me. He blinks a few times and lets out a breath he didn't even remember holding.

Damien's hand moves from her chin to the back of her head. Her eyes shoot open, her breath stopping for a second. She sees the sparkle in his icy blue eyes reappearing, a slight smile on his face. He leans down and whispers into Genie's ear, his voice still deep. "Do you still have a 'thing' for him, or have you moved on to liking someone new?" 

He removes his hand from her head and places it on her cheek, looking deeply into her green eyes until she closes them again. 

_______________

I like you. "No, I don't still have a 'thing' for my ex, and yes, I do like someone new." She mumbles the last few words, not realizing that she said them out loud. "I like you, Damien."  Genie opens her eyes and sees a pair of wide, icy blue ones staring into hers. Why is he looking at me like that?