Chapter 22

Third person's pov

As Hye-joon asked Jungkook about his condition, his heart sank like a heavy stone in his chest. For a moment, he was unable to find his voice, when he finally spoke, his voice was barely a whisper, choked with emotion.

"I... yes, I have leukemia," he confessed, the words tasting bitter on his tongue.

Hye-joon's arms tightened around Jungkook as she buried her face in his chest, her sobs echoing through the quiet cafe. Tears streamed down her cheeks unchecked as she clung to Jungkook, unwilling to let go.

" N-No eomma noo, i-it can't happen no."

Jungkook wrapped his arms around Hye-joon as he felt her trembling against him. He closed his eyes and let out a deep sigh.

Hye-joon pulled back slightly, her tear-streaked face searching Jungkook's for answers. "Wh-hy di-idn't you tell us, eomma? Why did you keep it a secret?" she asked, her voice trembling,

Jungkook remained silent, unable to articulate the pain and fear that gnawed at his heart.

Hye-joon shook her head, her eyes brimming with tears as she reached out to wipe away Jungkook's tears.

She continued crying and hugged Jungkook even tighter while trembling.

After sitting in the cafe for what felt like an eternity, Jungkook and Hye-joon stepped outside, the cool breeze caressing their face. They found a bench nearby and sat down, the weight of their conversation still lingering in the air.

Jungkook reached into his bag and pulled out a water bottle, offering it to Hye-joon. She took it with trembling hands, her tears still flowing freely as she struggled to compose herself. Taking small sips of water between hiccups, she tried to steady her breathing,

"Eomma... eo-omma..." Hye-joon's voice faltered as she attempted to speak. She looked up at Jungkook, her eyes filled with tears and regret. She wanted to say more, to express the depths of her remorse, but the words caught in her throat, lost amidst the overwhelming tide of her emotions.

"Eomma..." Hye-joon tried to speak again, but her words dissolved into sobs as she buried her face in Jungkook's chest, seeking solace in his embrace. Her tears soaked his shirt,

Jungkook held Hye-joon close, his arms wrapped around her. His heart still couldn't bring itself to forgive Hye-joon but he also just couldn't see her crying like an absolute mess infront of him.

After a few minutes of silent solace, Hye-joon's sobs began to subside, her tears gradually drying as she took deep breaths to steady herself.

As the minutes passed, the weight of their emotions hung heavy in the air, Jungkook broke the silence, his voice soft and tentative.

"How did you find out about my illness?" he asked, his gaze searching Hye-joon's tear-streaked face.

Hye-joon took a moment to compose herself before responding, her voice choked with emotion. "Tw-wo days ago, I went to your room to get some painkillers for Appa," she explained, her words faltering as she recalled the moment. "And then I saw an empty bottle of Imatinib on the floor."

"Everything started making sense," Hye-joon continued, her voice trembling with emotion. "You getting sick out of nowhere, feeling tired, nosebleeds..." Her words trailed off as fresh tears welled up in her eyes, the weight of her realization crashing down upon her once more.

She gazed up at Jungkook with red, swollen eyes, her voice barely a whisper as she asked, "When will you tell everyone?"

"Soon," Jungkook replied softly,