file 011 | the origins of the kid killer

Start from the beginning

Suzume sweatdropped as she looked around at the heavy police presence within and outside the Beika Museum. Man, they really take Kaito seriously...

"Wow. It's like all the police in Tokyo have been mobilized," Kogoro muttered as he looked out the window, watching a pair of helicopters fly by.

"I guess he really is a big international thief!" Ran said.

Suzume fought back a yawn and rubbed her face with her hands. Geez...I really need to stop pulling all-nighters...

"Detective Mouri! Kudo-san!" Sonoko's father called out to them as he and his wife walked over. "Thank you for coming!" He shook hands with both of them as Sonoko went to Ran's side. "I truly appreciate your listening to my daughter! We're 100-men strong with detectives like you here! We're counting on you, Detective Mouri! Kudo-san!"

Kogoro smirked. "It's just one measly thief. I'll capture him with no trouble at all!" he declared cockily before laughing.

Suzume sighed and rolled her eyes. You haven't even broken the code, yet...

They were led towards the gem that Kaito sent his notice for. "So this is the largest black pearl in the world, the Black Star?" Kogoro asked.

"Yes. The Suzuki family has been blessed with prosperity ever since my grandfather first purchased it," Shiro said proudly. "It's the family's guardian angel."

Suzume's hand twitched at the words "guardian angel."

"Security sure is tight for the day before the theft," Kogoro noticed.

"Yes. All we got from the letter was the date," Shiro said. "I'm told that security will be on full detail starting tonight. There's no telling from when or where Kaito 1412 will strike."

"What?! I already told you! The river! Deploy men along the river bank!" Superintendent Chaki Shintaro shouted at his officers. "Kaito 1412 plans to sneak inside from the nearby Teimuzu River!"

Shiro walked over to Chaki. "You cracked the code?"

Chaki nodded. "Sure did! The "calling of the waves" bit refers to the Teimuzu River! The Teimuzu River is the only place in the vicinity with waves!"

It was when Kogoro burst into loud laughter that made Suzume wish that it was the next day already.

Chaki looked at him. "Weren't you Mouri from Section 1?"

"You're sloppy, Commissioner!" Kogoro said.

"What?!"

"Don't you get it? "Waves" means the ocean, which means "oki" (coast). And "star" means a pop star!" Kogoro's deductions made Suzume rest her forehead on Ran's shoulder as Ran patted her friend's back. "In other words, the idol star who performs live tomorrow at the nearby Beika Town Hall, Okino Yoko-chan!"

Only Kogoro-san could make the code about Yoko-san...

"What's more, her last song will be "Moon Lady"!" Kogoro continued. "'When the moon splits in half' means that Kaito 1412 will come from the vicinity of Beika Town Hall when the show ends at 9:00 PM!"

"Yes, that does make sense," Chaki said, making Suzume groan almost inaudibly.

"Well done, Detective Mouri!" Shiro said.

"Alright! Have Teams C through E assemble near Beika Town Hall!" Chaki ordered his officers. When they ran off to do that, Chaki looked around. "Say, where's the fellow who was transferred to us last month?"

"The inspector? He took some officers somewhere this morning," someone answered.

"What's he thinking?!"